75 piece segmented pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

vick

Alright 75 pieces is an estimate I did not actually count, but it got your attention. I like the way this turned out but I do not love it. Let me know what you think.

Sorry the 2nd picture is not better:(

20061249229_Parq1.jpg

200612492222_Parq2.jpg

Comment and critiques are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

I generally like segmented pens and this one is no exception. I appreciate the work that goes into them and it is obvious that you spend a good amount of time on the glue-up.

I think anyone with an eye for detail would really love this pen!

Ron Mc

Mike,
That looks to be a lot of cutting and gluing! Nice. What kind of wood is it and what glue type did you use?

Mikey

I actually like the first picture. It would be flawless if one or two of the lines met up just a little better on the side shot. Even then, i would be VERY proud to have produced something that looks as good as this pen does.

Radman

That's very nice. Seems the segmented pens that are being displayed are getting more and more intricate. Good job on that one... terrific!
Radman[8D]

vick

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I really appreciate you input.

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />Mike,
What kind of wood is it and what glue type did you use?

I know I am probably butchering this wood name but Gonca Alves?? and maple. I used regular titebond wood glue to glue up the 5 lamination strips, then once they were cut into squares I glued the squares together with CA.

dfurlano

Nice work. The hardest thing is to get repeatable patterns, you came very close but looking at these photos there is still seems to be some misalignment. Once you nail it down you find people just stare at it trying to find something wrong.

vick

Originally posted by dfurlano
<br />Nice work. The hardest thing is to get repeatable patterns, you came very close but looking at these photos there is still seems to be some misalignment. Once you nail it down you find people just stare at it trying to find something wrong.

The pattern was actually closer than I thought it would be, but definately off in a couple spots. I screwed up cutting the squares and had to be creative when putting them together. I have 2 more sticks of my lamination that still need to be cut into squares to make another blank but I doubt I will. I did not bet the "Bang for the buck" out of this that I wanted and with the dissimiliar material and all the end grain and different grain allignment it was a nightmare to turn.
I think I ended up grinding 1/4 inch of my skew sharpening it so much[;)].

JHFerrell

Beautiful piece of work....reminds me of one I remember seeing some months back...http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=7417

Maybe one of these days I'll get to this level of craftsmanship.

vick

Originally posted by JHFerrell
<br />....reminds me of one I remember seeing some months back...http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=7417
Thank you very much for the kind words. They are both based on parquertry patterns though I have never seen the exact pattern that Eagle used for his before maybe he made it up.

I got my patern out of an old millwork catalog that someone had posted a link to before.
http://inlay.com/inlay/roberts_par/roberts_par.html
It is the border from page 332. Lots of good ideas for segments. I plan to try several more of the designs when I get time.

chigdon

I really like a well done segmented pen mostly because I am in awe of them. This one I especially like because it is so subtle. Very nicely done. As mentioned, I am in awe.

vick

Originally posted by Darley
<br />Very nice pen Mike, any chance to post a photo of the blank uncut and glued up? thanks
Unfortunately I do not have a picture. If I make another one I will make sure to take a picture. Just to give you an idea the blank looked like this though

200612535256_parqpic.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom