7260 Year Old Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sandsini

Sandsini

This is the first time I've worked with Bog Oak and it was a little bit different for me. I knew when I turned it that I wanted the beauty and the age of the wood to show through any finish I applied and I ended up experimenting a bit. At first I turned and MM'd it smooth and applied WTF, but even with just a few coats, I wasn't happy with the finish, I tried a couple of other options like buffing it on my wheel, but, in the end I just sanded the finish down and MM'd it to 12000 and left it alone. I would imagine that some of the WTF is still there acting as a sealer, but there is no real shine other than the natural wood. I also like how the grain is prominent, it gives the pen a sense of presence and weight.

This particular blank, from Russia, has been Radiocarbon dated to 7260 years old!

Attachments

• P1011715.jpg
    P1011715.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 248
  • P1011716.jpg
    P1011716.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 244
  • P1011717.jpg
    P1011717.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 199
  • P1011719.jpg
    P1011719.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 196
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

A Beautiful, Regal Pen, Eric.
Magnificent Bog Oak Blank, Superb Fit, and well left alone on the Finish.
BTW, Do you think the Blank has Seasoned well Enough by Now?
Outstanding.
Brian.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I had the same result with some Irish Bog Oak. I eventually used only 2-3 coats of Pens Plus, but it's mostly just natural wood - it feels great though and has a low sheen. Kept it for myself.

Your pen is awesome!

Peter Durand

This is the first time I've worked with Bog Oak and it was a little bit different for me. I knew when I turned it that I wanted the beauty and the age of the wood to show through any finish I applied and I ended up experimenting a bit. At first I turned and MM'd it smooth and applied WTF, but even with just a few coats, I wasn't happy with the finish, I tried a couple of other options like buffing it on my wheel, but, in the end I just sanded the finish down and MM'd it to 12000 and left it alone. I would imagine that some of the WTF is still there acting as a sealer, but there is no real shine other than the natural wood. I also like how the grain is prominent, it gives the pen a sense of presence and weight.

This particular blank, from Russia, has been Radiocarbon dated to 7260 years old!

That is really beautiful. I am now curious where one can source such old wood.

Thanks,

Peter

Sandsini

Thanks all for the nice comments, I normally like a high gloss finish on my woods too, but I thought this one required something special.

I would love to keep it, but I need these Story pens to add variety to my offerings. This one and the recently added Italian Marble Majestic provide a nice contrast, I think. I've just ordered a couple of Bock nibs for these pens, so we'll see how they perform in the upper echelon of my inventory.

Cheers,

nativewooder

There are many customers out there who do not like the "plastic" feel that is so prevalent with many high gloss finishes. Many, especially the ladies, claim that they prefer the "live" feel from raw highly polished wood.

Brooks803

It's a beautiful pen. I like that you decided to leave it without a finish. One thing you can do to help seal it is apply one coat of thin CA and then start sanding it while it's still wet to create a slurry that'll fill in the wood. Make sure to sand it to bare wood and then complete you sanding however you want.

Sandsini

It's a beautiful pen. I like that you decided to leave it without a finish. One thing you can do to help seal it is apply one coat of thin CA and then start sanding it while it's still wet to create a slurry that'll fill in the wood. Make sure to sand it to bare wood and then complete you sanding however you want.

That's an interesting idea. How would you do that, apply the CA with the sandpaper?

Top Bottom