7 Long Clickers All in Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from louisbry

louisbry

First time I tried the long click pen kit so I decided to showcase various species of wood. From left to right the blanks are: Spalted Crabapple, Spalted Pecan, Spalted Hackberry, Spalted Maple, Buckeye Burl, Honduran Rosewood Burl and Buckeye Burl. The pictures were taken outside in full sun, filtered by my photo tent, hence no bright reflections. I finished in CA with approximately 12 coats each and they are very shinny but the photos mask that. I stabalized all but the Maple and Honduran Rosewood Burl with Mesquiteman's Cactis Juice. Comments are welcome.

Attachments

• longclick pens.jpg
    longclick pens.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 372
  • P1014046.jpg
    P1014046.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 274
  • P1014047.jpg
    P1014047.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 187
  • P1014048.jpg
    P1014048.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 176
  • P1014049.jpg
    P1014049.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 223
  • P1014050.jpg
    P1014050.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 182
  • P1014058.jpg
    P1014058.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 212
  • P1014059.jpg
    P1014059.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Beautiful . In my opinion , the best possible showcase for those woods .

I agree entirely with you mate, a great kit to show off the beauty of some blanks.

The selection of woods, fit and finish are stunning, congrats...!

What blank size do you need for these kits, louisbry...???

PS: I wonder what size drill is required and what would be the amount of "meat" left on the tube...???

Cheers
George

Last edited:

maxman400

I agree entirely with you mate, a great kit to show off the beauty of some blanks.

PS: I wonder what size drill is required and what would be the amount of "meat" left on the tube...???

Cheers
George
Great looking group of Pens,
I have done a few of these, and I have always used 3/4" blanks because that's what I have but I am sure you could use a 5/8" and it takes a 3/8" drill bit. I don't have any info as to how much "Meat" is left on the tube. I bought an extra long 3/8" drill bit and cut it down some so I could drill all the way through the blank in one pass, before that I had to flip the blank and drill from the other end but I was drilling on the lathe so it was not a big deal.:biggrin:

robutacion

Cheers
George
Great looking group of Pens,
I have done a few of these, and I have always used 3/4" blanks because that's what I have but I am sure you could use a 5/8" and it takes a 3/8" drill bit. I don't have any info as to how much "Meat" is left on the tube. I bought an extra long 3/8" drill bit and cut it down some so I could drill all the way through the blank in one pass, before that I had to flip the blank and drill from the other end but I was drilling on the lathe so it was not a big deal.:biggrin:

Thanks Max but, the blank size I was referring to was actually the blank's length needed...!

Cheers
George

louisbry

Thanks everyone for the compliments. The finished length of the blank is approximately 4 1/8 inch. so I guess the blank should be at least 3/4 in sq by 4 1/2 in long.

robutacion

Very nice! I like the wood and the pen! Do these come as a kit or did you modify another kit?

Thank you. They come as a kit which is very easy to assemble. I purchased mine from CSUSA. Others may carry them?

Do you think that will be possible for you to measure the material thickness , left on the tube if cut in straight line all the way through...???
Measuring the bushings and deducting the tube's thickness/gauge should give you a result/number...!

Thank you,
Cheers
George

jnette

great looking pens, I love the long clicker but cant figure out how to take the rattle out of the plunger when the refill is extended for writing. It's annoying. Am I missing something as I have the same issues with other click pens. If anyone has a solution for this I sure would appreciate it. I got to be missing something as the cheapo's they give away at the bank dont rattle. Thanks

warthog

Great looking pens. That long clicker is a real jewel in my opinion. And to think a month ago I didn't even know what it was. Since then I have turned and sold several. They are just real nice pens.

BSea

Those are beautiful. I think my favorite is the 1st one. I'm a huge fan of the clicker. I haven't made any in awhile. I really need to go make a few. They seem to sell well. I've used one everyday for over a year, and all I've done is replace the refill. Be sure & get the spring back on correctly. This pen is sensitive to which way the spring goes on the refill.

Top Bottom