7.62x39mm Steel Case Bullet Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sylvanite

Sylvanite

Two pens, made from 7.62x39mm Russian ammo. The cases are lacquered steel. I inadvertently scratched the lacquer on one case, so I sanded it all off to expose the bare steel.

These are very short cartridges (similar in length to 223 Rem) so I used mini-refills and made the upper barrels longer.

I hope you like them,
Eric

Attachments

• 762x39Pens.jpg
    762x39Pens.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 582
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

Very nice. (drooling) Looking good.

I have a load of 270 brass, I'd like to use one day. I just need to come up with the innards. It's a ways beyond me at the moment, but I'll get there.

turbowagon

Very cool! I like the steel over the brass. Hope these kits are available for sale! (check your PMs)

- Joe

Rfturner

Nice use of AK rounds. I have the 7.62x54r for my mossin. They are a nice laquered dark forest green, steel , I have eyed them before to use. I have made several cartidge pens. You did a great job on yours

Sylvanite

I have the 7.62x54r for my mossin. They are a nice laquered dark forest green, steel , I have eyed them before to use.
I started with Wolf brand (i.e. cheap) ammo and I was impressed with the lacquer. It is tough. It withstood steel wool and polish - even soldering (with a torch) didn't mar the finish. The only things that marked them were my bullet puller (it left scuffs in the extractor groove that don't show in the finished pen) and my collet chuck when it slipped once.

I had to beat the daylights out of the rounds to pull the bullets. They were crimped in tight! That was probably the hardest part of making these pens.

Regards,
Eric

lazyguy

I started with Wolf brand (i.e. cheap) ammo and I was impressed with the lacquer. It is tough. It withstood steel wool and polish - even soldering (with a torch) didn't mar the finish. The only things that marked them were my bullet puller (it left scuffs in the extractor groove that don't show in the finished pen) and my collet chuck when it slipped once.

I had to beat the daylights out of the rounds to pull the bullets. They were crimped in tight! That was probably the hardest part of making these pens.

Regards,
Eric
Nice looking pens.
Looks like they shoot like my SKS, low and to the left.
And I would think that pulling the trigger would dislodge that round easier than a bullet puller. :biggrin:

Sylvanite

I would think that pulling the trigger would dislodge that round easier than a bullet puller. :biggrin:
I'm sure it would be a lot more fun too, but:
  1. I don't have a set of 7.62x39mm dies, so resizing the case would be problematic, and
  2. I needed somewhat gentler terminal ballistics. I doubt that the bullet would be much good as a nib after digging it out of my berm. :)
Regards,
Eric

Rfturner

The few cartidge pens I have made have been from spent 30-06, and .308. If I use any of the 7.62x54 it will be easy as one squeeze. By the way a word to the wise if you get empty shell casing from someone or at a gun show, double check that primer is spent. or it may give you a rude awakening when you begin to drill, not that I have ever done that before,

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile and 3 for a proper trigger pull:biggrin:

Top Bottom