7.62 x39 Desert Iron Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Joe Burns

Joe Burns

Just completed a very special pen for a friend of mine who is being deployed to Afghanistan this spring. The pen is a cartridge style twist pen. The wood is Desert Ironwood Burl. It has quite a story:

The cartridge came from tunnels near Baghdad Iraq. It is a 7.62 x39 cartridge for an AK47. If you look closely you can see the Arabic letters that were carved into the bullet itself by who originally carried them. Anyone know how to translate them?

I want to thank Eric at Little River Crafts for help in assembling and preserving the brass, bullet, and pen transmission.

Joe

Attachments

• 7.62x39 desert ironwood 1.jpg
    7.62x39 desert ironwood 1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 212
  • 7.62x39 desert ironwood 3.jpg
    7.62x39 desert ironwood 3.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 218
  • 7.62x39 desert ironwood 4.jpg
    7.62x39 desert ironwood 4.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 210
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Translated it loosely means, "There ain't no 72 virgins? Who lied to me!!"

Really don't know what it means.....but that is some nice timber!

Most importantly, I am glad your friend is back safely! And thanks for his service!

Scott (been there, no shirt) B

Janster

Correct me if I heared this wrong. A friend of mine, and I quote,
" I liked the Ironwood handles. Found out later that both Cocabola and Ironwood build up toxicity in your system and I started getting rashes any time I'd sand either wood with my belt grinders.

Joe Burns

Haven't heard about it for Desert Iron Wood. I do notice that it seems to be more irritating to turn than other woods.

Joe

Chrisjan

Fellow-woodturners, a lot of the South African hardwoods are also toxic and are now protected... Very hard to find them all of a sudden...Tambotie will clog you sinuses for at least a week!!!

Top Bottom