7.62 x 54mm version2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dfurlano

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfurlano

No kit parts... except the transmission and cartridge. Not as good as I like but the next one should work out.

BTW, if you missed version 1 I make the clip from a casing.

(click thumbnails to make the photo larger)

tn_casing-front.jpg

tn_casing-side.jpg

tn_casing-end.jpg

tn_casing-tipped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cozee

Awesome. I too am intrigued on how you attached the clip? Looks as though the ring was formed arond the casing and soldered with the clip itself resting on a stop top keep it from turning.

johnnycnc

Very cool stuff! I remember version 1.[:)].
Looks like much patience to make the clip as well
as the whole thing.Nice execution.
Excellent idea!

dfurlano

I soldered the clip. I made a slot in the casing at the ridge and bent a 90 degree tab on the clip that fit into the slot. I then soldered it together. I also soldered the bullet into the casing. That was I can have all the parts assembled prior to powder coating.

dfurlano

I posted this before but this is how I cut the angles on the casings and the blank. Once I set the angle I do not touch the setup.

saw.jpg

jtate

What are the symbols on the end cap? Please forgive my ignorance if this is a well-known thing for most folks.

I'm very impressed.

dfurlano

It is an Egyptian made cartridge.

So after I cut the casings I take my blank and drill a hole to fit the inside of the casing. Then I take another scrap block and turn it down so I can fit the blank on the scrap dowel. The fit needs to be tight but only hand tight.

Then I turn the blank down to a little bigger then the cartridge diameter.

tn_blank-1.jpg

dfurlano

It is a stabilized and dyed box elder burl from Craft Supply.

Ok, now that I have the blank with a hole that fits the inner diameter of the casings and it is turned to about the final outside casing diameter. I then need to cut the matching angles for the casings.

You need to really look at this photo. On the end under the saw I have not cut the angle. On the opposite end the angle has been cut. The first angle is easy to position. Just slap it in the vise and cut. The second angle need to be exactly opposite (in this version) to the first. How do you position it correctly?

Well what I did was to take a square (very square) piece of metal and place it on the opposite end of the blank and rotate the blank until the angle is flush all the way around the square block. You can see the metal square block and how the angle fits in the photo where the text is pointing.

tn_cut-blank.jpg

dfurlano

Ok, now back to the lathe to finish the diameter of the blank.

One note of caution. If you use this method do not take the scrap block out of the chuck. If you really need to use the lathe for something else take the whole chuck off without removing the scrap block. Once you take the scrap out you will never get it back in turning true.

Slip the blank back onto the scrap rod and turn it close to the finish diameter.

In this photo I pulled back the tail stock and checked the fit of the casing to the blank. Real easy way to get a very close fit.

tn_fit-end-casing.jpg

gerryr

Very cool Dan. Maybe I missed it in what you've already posted but what's the transmission? The only thing I don't care for is that it appears the end of the clip is a fair distance from the body of the pen. It would probably be fairly tough to form a knob so it would contact the pen body.

cozee

Been seriously thinking of getting one of those mini chop saws from HF. Do you feel yours meets your needs?

dfurlano

For the price I paid and what I want it to do it works fine. It is not very powerful I don't know if it can get through a 3/4" blank. Also I changed the vise to be on the outside of the blade. I did buy some cut off blades that were 2 1/2 and 3 inch diameters. They suggest 2 inch diameter blades. I was going to take it apart and see if I can gear it up for more speed but I haven't had the chance.

gerryr

Originally posted by dfurlano
<br />I call it a transmission, the inner mechanism that moves the cartridge in and out of the tip.

LOL. I didn't state my question correctly. What KIND of transmission, Cross or Parker?

Skye

Very nice man, the old version of this pen was one of my favorites.

Something about the bullet tip that bugs me. I like the nibs more for some reason, but either way, still a sweet pen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom