60's Flaskback

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from G1Pens

G1Pens

Didn't have a lot of time in the shop last night so I figured I would do something quick, easy and fun. This is what I came up with. Its a slimline turned to a fatline with an acrylic centerband. Wood is an unknown freebie. It was a very light colored wood, not much character and pretty soft. Added a little food coloring and viola......

This will go to Kent and the Pens for Hope project.

Attachments

• IMG_5936a-web.jpg
    IMG_5936a-web.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 342
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Atherton Pens

I think I still have a T-shirt with those colors. I've been wanting to try the food coloring trick but haven't gotten to it yet. Good job for a good cause.

Steve Busey

Gary, love the colorations!

But it looks like one I tried, with some local holly or dogwood, where the dye wouldn't sink in very well. Had my best luck dying a maple blank, but might try a piece of white holly I got from Big Rob. Keep at it!

G1Pens

But it looks like one I tried, with some local holly or dogwood, where the dye wouldn't sink in very well. Had my best luck dying a maple blank, but might try a piece of white holly I got from Big Rob. Keep at it!

Actually it soaked in too well and was very dark. I hit it with 600 grit which removed a little more color than I wanted. Still it is okay. I'll try again soon.

Jgrden

If it were me, and it isn't, I would let the dye sit longer on the wood, if possible. Take the wood past the 600 grit. Sand real smooth and use an acrylic spray on the finish. Or use the BLO/CA method.
I would not say this if I did not like it or want to try it myself.
Thank you.

MorganGrafixx

Try wetting the blank with water right after sanding it. This will cause the grain to swell and stand up for you some.

Actually it soaked in too well and was very dark. I hit it with 600 grit which removed a little more color than I wanted. Still it is okay. I'll try again soon.

Taking some of the color off is okay (even if you think you took off too much) because the CA coat will make the colors more vibrant by the time you're done.

Top Bottom