60 degrees doesn't work!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texatdurango

I just had a month away from my shop and had some time to think about things and decided to try an 8 segment knot when I got back home.

As it turned out, using a 60 degree angle and an .073" blade made for some pretty tight lines which really got crowded at the ends. So crowded that I decided to add some accent rings at each end.

I post this only to show how things will turn out with these angles if your not really careful. I got a bit sloppy getting the lines aligned. If I try another, it will be with a thinner blade and different angle for sure.

Man, I'm getting quite a collection of "daily users"!:D

200772620836_8%20pc%20knot.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />If there is "sloppy" in there, I don't see it. Very fine looking. Approaching my ever-disliked 'too busy' but not quite. Both uniquely attractive and a demonstration of skill.

2007726202650_thumb%20up.jpg
<br />
Think it looks "busy" now, you should have seen it before I cut the <s>cover up rings</s> accent bands... not a pretty sight! [:(]

ahoiberg

yeah george, i think it turned out quite nice. sure, the angles are not 'exact' but pretty darned close and i think it's a desirable outcome nonetheless. what kind of woods did you use?

Texatdurango

Originally posted by ahoiberg
<br />yeah george, i think it turned out quite nice. sure, the angles are not 'exact' but pretty darned close and i think it's a desirable outcome nonetheless. what kind of woods did you use?
Two of the most common woods in my shop... hard rock maple and mahogany. Actually, I was a bit surprised that the mahogany ended up looking the way it did, I actually like that.

its_virgil

Not that it matters but this knot is my favorite one so far of all of the knots I've seen posted. Maybe I should try one, my Dad still calls me a Knot-head, or is NOT-head. Good looking knot!
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by GaryMGg
<br />Overall, I think this one's approaching another level -- a really fine level.

GaryMGg

Yep, that's what I was getting at. In my very humble opinion, the three best knotted rings I've seen -- with no offense to anyone else -- are this one, Ron's (Drums, PA) and Mick's tri-color knot that, iirc, inspired George's first.

Gary

rcarman

Great work! I struggled with a six loop at 45 degrees and the .073 blade. Since I learned from you in the first place,this one does not surprise me. The quality of your work is outstanding. Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Bob

Texatdurango

Originally posted by rcarman
<br />... Thanks for sharing your work with us.
Bob, That is part of what the forum is all about in my opinion. If Mick hadn't taken the time to give me some pointers after seeing his fantastic black/multi band knot, I would probably still be stumbling around wasting wood and glue or given up by now.

All, I keep hearing of a "Diablo" blade being the thin blade of choice. Does anyone know the kerf thickness? I would love to find a blade thinner than the .073" I currently use.

George

rd_ab_penman

Originally posted by Texatdurango

All, I keep hearing of a "Diablo" blade being the thin blade of choice. Does anyone know the kerf thickness? I would love to find a blade thinner than the .073" I currently use.

George
Hey George nice work! I bet you thought about this one the whole time you were on vacation![;)] Suppose 10 rings will be next! What make of blade do you have that is .073"[?]

Bluewing92

Hello everyone. New guy here (just got my jet mini this week), and was reading this interesting thread and thought I would Google for thin kerf blade and found this site with .063 kerf blade don’t know if this is what you are looking for.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/tenryu/thinke.html

I see this is a very informative site and it will take some time to produce a pen of the same caliber as I’ve seen here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom