6 More Resins :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from karlkuehn

karlkuehn

Banned
I don't want to flood SOYP, so I'm just dumping the camera on this post. heh

I got a little behind in the photo booth while my sister was here. These are some new resins that I've been doing. They'll be listed in business classifieds soon, but half the fun is turning the samples! hehe :D

All are finished with MM4000, white diamond and Ren wax.

Individual pen details listed with each picture. Comments, questions and such are welcome as always. :)

I call this one 'Mulberry Frost'. Little bit of bead work. Blanks painted white after drilling, Gold Ti Baron from Bill, Heritage SF nib from Lou. This one's for my mom. :)
ResinMulberryFrost1_1.jpg

ResinMulberryFrost1_2.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one of my 'Dark Matter' blanks. Little bit of bead work, resin center band ring and finial. I actually made a custom resin ring for the nib holder, too, but I left it too proud to fit past the cap threads and haven't taken the time to mill it down yet. I swapped the stock nib holder ring with the Gold Ti one from my mom's pen. Blanks painted red after drilling, Platinum Ti Baron from Bill, Heritage SF nib from Lou.

This is one of my personal pens and has become my daily writer. Lou's nibs are awesome, way better than the stock ones! There's plenty of pocket lint and fingerprints on it, I kinda did a halfway job of cleaning it up for the picture. Love this pen, where have fountain pens been all my life?:D

ResinDarkMatter1_1.jpg

ResinDarkMatter1_2.jpg

This is one of my new 'Valhalla' blanks, which started life as a set of Minnesota Vikings blanks for Tim (Tanner). Little bit of contour work. Blanks painted white after drilling, Chrome Baron roller ball from Bill.
ResinValhalla1_1.jpg

ResinValhalla1_2.jpg

This is one of my 'Repumocrat' blanks. You know like Red and Blue states (Republican/Democrat)? Stupid name, I know, but I couldn't bring myself to call it 'Superman', and that's the best I could come up with on short notice. heh [:p] Blanks painted white after drilling, Satin Pearl Cigar from Ernie.
ResinRepumocrat1_1.jpg

This is one of my new 'Iron and Ivory' blanks. Blanks painted white after drilling, Black Ti Cigar from Ernie.
ResinIronIvory1_1.jpg

This is one of my new 'Penapple Upside Down Cake' blanks. The colors remind me of the pineapple milkshakes we used to get from the little joint down the street when I was a kid. I miss those! [^] Blanks painted white after drilling, Gold Cigar from Ernie.
ResinPenappleUpsideDownCake1_1.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

They are all fantastic pens, but MAN is that Iron and Ivory pen SWEEEEET!

Fantastic castwork and turnery. I love your beads, pulling those little buggers off on PR isn't easily done!

tmhawk

Hey Karl,
Your Repumocrat blank could very easily be a DENVER BRONCO'S blank.(Blue and ORANGE, Orange Crush, John Elway, BLUE AND ORANGE? who'd a thot?) We lived in Colorado from 88 until Sept. of last year. I attended ONE Bronco's game (my son got the tickets from some guy at the Golf Course where he is the pro). Now I'm in CARDINALS country. And D'Backs, whooohoo snakey baseball. I've still got lots of friends in Denver so I'll get some Repumocrat blanks when they become available.(RePUMocrat, LOL, My best friends in Denver are political people, married 25 years now, he's a Repub, she's a Demo, go figure, they are the best people in the world and love each other totally, funny ol world huh?) Mulberry Frost is awesome, that is an ELEGANT colored pen. "Dark Matters" is my idea of looking OUT of a black hole, sci-fi spooky and ultra cool.
Thanks,
Tony
Phoenix, AZ

karlkuehn

Banned
I've actually got an order for a dozen Broncos blanks that I've been fighting with. I'm slowly building a sports team slash college colors portfolio. Eventually I'll have a bunch. Thanks for the nice comments you guys! :D

bitshird

Karl;;;; That second blank, the black and white swirl one, I thought I cast one like that last night [?][?][?][?]
duh.gif

But I thought I turned it into an Atlas/Polaris chrome pen, I think I need to change my meds[:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]
I like the bead work on the top pen your mixes are growing in strength, but beware the force [8][8][8][8][}:)]

toolcrazy

Those are gorgeous, all of them. I gotta quit looking at your posts. I can't buy any blanks and it is too damn cold in the shop to make my own. What's a turner to do.

EeyorIs21

I really like the first 2 (Mulberry Frost & Dark Matter) and the last 1 (Penapple Upside Down Cake).

I am curious about something though. With almost each description for the pens you indicated "blanks painted white after drilling".

If I read this correctly you painted the inside of the blank itself with the hole you just created after drilling, rather than paint the brass tube. Is that correct?

I am curious about how (brush, cutip, spray) and what type or brand of paint did you use if my understanding of your statement is correct.

LOVE the colors:D

karlkuehn

Banned
You are correct, Robert, I like to paint the insides of the blanks rather than monkey around with the tubes. Seems like there's always an air bubble or two in the epoxy/glue that ends up showing through no matter what color the tubes are.

By painting the blanks instead, the glue can't show through, and there are many different color outcomes for a single type of blank depending on what color paint you use. For example, if I'd have used a blue on the inside of the mulberry blank, the purple would have been much darker and more violet colored. I've been using the colors for different effects a lot lately, and it works great! White makes the colors pop, black makes them more subdued and deep looking, etc. I've been casting my blanks to allow for this versatility unless I'm specifically going for a real solid color. :)

I just use the little bottles of acrylic craft paint that you can buy at Walmart and Michael's for like a buck (Plaid, Delta Ceramcoat, Apple Barrel, etc). There's a ton of different colors and it only takes about 10 minutes to dry (I usually use two coats for maximum opacity). Sometimes I mix a couple of drops in with the epoxy to color it as well.

I just use a Q-Tip to apply it. World's cheapest brush. :D

rjwolfe3

Karl,
Wow those pens are awesome but now you've done made my wife mad.[B)] She says your pens are too good looking, lol.:D Hopefully you've got some Steelers colors in your mix to make her happy.:)

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by philk

Karl Are you drilling the blanks with a larger diameter bit?? They are awesome !!!!

I'm just using the standard sized bits when I'm drilling, or at least the standard ones I use from my indexed set. The paint shrinks down really well when it's dry, so there's not much crowding. When I epoxy the tubes in, I rub some in the blank as well as on the tube. :)

rccrazybill

Karl , Everytime I see something you have made I have to go back to my shop and try turning more difficult designs. One day I hope to be as good as you. Truly amazing!

Neodon1

Karl, I must admit that you have skillz, I like every pen
I have seen you create. I even admit I have adopted some of your
photo techniques and would like to know even more of how you get
such great and clear pictures. I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ30
8 MP camera and tripod as well as a photo tent and lights.

but I must say my pictures pail in comparison to yours, I aspire to
awe and wow them in the same fashion as you so readily do with your
combination of Pen and Photo art. Remember imitation is the most
sincere form of flattery.

Sincerely,
NeoDon [8D]

Neodon1

Karl, I must admit that you have skillz,real skillz, I like every pen
I have seen you create. I even admit I have adopted some of your
photo techniques and would like to know even more of how you get
such great and clear pictures. I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ30
8 MP camera and tripod as well as a photo tent and lights.

but I must say my pictures pail in comparison to yours, I aspire to
awe and wow them in the same fashion as you so readily do with your
combination of Pen and Photo art. Remember imitation is the most
sincere form of flattery.

Sincerely,
NeoDon [8D]

B727phixer

Nice pens/Blanks... Wow! That Blue and orange looks like "Denver Broncos" Send me one of them in my "Blank of the month Club" Yeah Baby![:p][:p]

Dan_F

Karl---These are wonderful. I like the mulberry best, but then burgundy is my favorite color. The Burgundy Mist ink from Private Reserve would go great with that pen.

Dan

randyrls

Originally posted by karlkuehn

I don't want to flood SOYP, so I'm just dumping the camera on this post. heh

This is one of my new 'Penapple Upside Down Cake' blanks. The colors remind me of the pineapple milkshakes we used to get from the little
Thanks for looking! :)

Love the Iron and Ivory! The Penapple could be "Creamscicle" (sp?)

Top Bottom