6 Banded Knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DavidSpavin

DavidSpavin

I have been experimenting with creating Celtic knots with more than 4 bands. The the results from my latest 'method' are shown below. :)
6Band_Euro.jpg6Band_Euro_Close_Up.jpg6Band_Stylish.jpg

Thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mwildes

Awesome, David! So give me some hints. Most of the other knots that I have seen have had thick banding, to match the thickness of most tablesaw blades. I don't know that I've seen a tablesaw blade with that thin a kerf. I really like the visual appeal.

And the multiple knot is awesome! My "main" job is in a laboratory, and the design resembles the orbit pattern of an atom. Any clues on how you designed and cut it? I'm very impressed and intrigued. Way to go!

alphageek

Former Moderator
I can't tell you how he designed the multiple (which is really NICE btw). I do the same kind of knots (only 4 sided) using a bandsaw and veneers. Find a bandsaw blade that matches the veneer thickness.... Different effect than the tablesaw.

The mulitcolor one is VERY cool.. I'd recommend a 3rd distinct color, but very cool!

Randy_

Very nice work, David. I think the 6 ring knot looks a lot better than the typical 4 ring knot, especially when the rings are very thin.

Far as I know the first person to do a 6 ring knot was Ron Sardo.....a member here who goes by Ron in Drums PA . Ron posted a picture here of a 6 ring pen he did about 2 years ago and had his method published in the Fall 2007 issue of Woodturning Design Magazine.

This all leads into something very conveniently that I have done in the past to recycle magazines that some folks might not normally subscribe to.

I have the last four issues of Woodturning Design, including the one with the article by Ron Sardo that I will send to someone who is willing to make a $20 donation to IAP. Four issues is a one year subscription that normally costs $19.97. I'll also throw in a couple issues of other wood magazines I have as well and I will pay the postage.

First one to "EMAIL" me will get the deal.

randyrls

AlexL

Very nice work, David. I think the 6 ring knot looks a lot better than the typical 4 ring knot, especially when the rings are very thin.

Far as I know the first person to do a 6 ring knot was Ron Sardo.....a member here who goes by Ron in Drums PA . Ron posted a picture here of a 6 ring pen he did about 2 years ago and had his method published in the Fall 2007 issue of Woodturning Design Magazine.

This all leads into something very conveniently that I have done in the past to recycle magazines that some folks might not normally subscribe to.

I have the last four issues of Woodturning Design, including the one with the article by Ron Sardo that I will send to someone who is willing to make a $20 donation to IAP. Four issues is a one year subscription that normally costs $19.97. I'll also throw in a couple issues of other wood magazines I have as well and I will pay the postage.

First one to "EMAIL" me will get the deal.

Hi Randy, check your email :) alex

mwildes

I found this tutorial pdf that appears to be an expansion of David's link. After seeing David's beautiful pen, I just gotta try this!

content.penturners.org/articles/2008/6-strand-celtic-knot.pdf

Top Bottom