50th Birthday Present

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wyone

wyone

Made this for a friends 50th Birthday on Tuesday. I am making progress, plus getting the wife more involved. In fact I made her go and pick out blank, the pen kit, and she did great. I think it is cool that she helped with this birthday present for our friend. :) It is nothing fancy, just a nice Wall Street II with a cobalt blue acrylic blank. I think he will like it though

Attachments

• Dan Bday.jpg
    Dan Bday.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 236
  • Dan Bday 2.jpg
    Dan Bday 2.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 139
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Made this for a friends 50th Birthday on Tuesday. I am making progress, plus getting the wife more involved. In fact I made her go and pick out blank, the pen kit, and she did great. I think it is cool that she helped with this birthday present for our friend. :) It is nothing fancy, just a nice Wall Street II with a cobalt blue acrylic blank. I think he will like it though

Hi mate,

I like the finish you gave it but, I'm not so sure about the barrel diameter and shape, I wonder if you used the correct bushes, it looks a bit thin...!

Interestingly, I never liked this type kits with too big of a belly and too much over the bushing, I prefer and admire those turners that, make the barrel shape and size, a little more flowing with the top and bottom part of the kit however, I made a few of these before (style wise) and I don't like the size the bushing give to the barrel, it just seems to always look undersize so, I decided to use the digital calipers to help me with the diameters I believe better suited...!

There will no need to say that, I always give my honest opinions and that, by making a comment, I'm trying to provided a constructive feedback to the work presented, this has nothing to do with being picky, by the contrary, I like to believe that, when one is just starting something new, is up to the more experienced turners to assist with good advice, that is what it should be seen at and not, putting someone down, that I don't like or believe in...!

There is also the fact that, you have been very supportive of everything I do and say therefore, I see you as someone that is very willing to learn and improve, that gives the confidence and willingness to help you out closely and give you the best advice I can give...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

wyone

George.. I LOVE the constructive criticism! Seriously, there is no better way for me to learn. I actually was not really satisfied with the blank as it is well sort of, average at best in my opinion. It does look like it is undersized, but there is no lip that I can feel with my fingernail. That is always my ultimate test. If I run my fingernail from the turning to the kit parts, I try to make sure there is no catch from my fingernail.

I actually almost turned a different blank to let my wife choose which she liked better with that kit. Unfortunately I did not have another of the same kit or the same size tube, so my only choice would have been to turn this one down to the tube and start over. She picked out the blank, and she loves it, so I guess maybe I am too much of a perfectionist. :)

I have tried to use calipers, but the issue I have with that is my calipers are not of, shall we say the best quality, and tend to not be reliable. I need to invest in a good set of calipers soon.

I also have to say, advice from you, or one of the many turners that I consider to be experts will NEVER be taken negatively from me. I consider myself lucky to have the resources of such great turners.

Thanks again!

robutacion

George.. I LOVE the constructive criticism! Seriously, there is no better way for me to learn. I actually was not really satisfied with the blank as it is well sort of, average at best in my opinion. It does look like it is undersized, but there is no lip that I can feel with my fingernail. That is always my ultimate test. If I run my fingernail from the turning to the kit parts, I try to make sure there is no catch from my fingernail.

I actually almost turned a different blank to let my wife choose which she liked better with that kit. Unfortunately I did not have another of the same kit or the same size tube, so my only choice would have been to turn this one down to the tube and start over. She picked out the blank, and she loves it, so I guess maybe I am too much of a perfectionist. :)

I have tried to use calipers, but the issue I have with that is my calipers are not of, shall we say the best quality, and tend to not be reliable. I need to invest in a good set of calipers soon.

I also have to say, advice from you, or one of the many turners that I consider to be experts will NEVER be taken negatively from me. I consider myself lucky to have the resources of such great turners.

Thanks again!

Mitch,

Yes, Is good that you see my advice as positive criticism, I wouldn't bother with it if, you were one of those that don't care about what they do, I know that you do and therefore, I take a little extra attention of your work, regardless if you used some of my blanks, or not...!:wink:

I do the same to everyone that shows interest and potential, they are the next generation, among them, are the older generations that only now developed interest for this type of turning, some never had the time before, and that has to be also recognized, work and life in general, can get in the way of hobbies or shed time so, everyone deserves a little help...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Rockytime

Hey Mitch, I've got a birthday coming up. I'd be willing to pick it up. No kidding, it is very nice. I also appreciate the helpful criticism you received. Not only helpful to you but also to us other new turners.

Rockytime

One more thing Mitch about calipers. I have quite a few calipers, a couple of them are expensive and the rest imports like from harbor freight. I have found no difference in accuracy. They match up with my mikes too. What I use on measuring pens are bow calipers. I have two small ones, one set for the largest diameter as on the center of the blank and one set for the minor diameter. Measuring my turning is simpler and quicker with those. Just my nickel's worth.

wyone

I am pretty sure the wife has it all wrapped and ready for the party! LOL

I really like that my wife had a part in this project. I doubt that I will ever get her to turn, but if she can be active in the choices, that will be awesome.

Learning is something that I have always enjoyed. Well at least when presented in the proper manner. I have been in the electrical industry for 40+ years, and you would think I would know all there is to know, but that is certainly not the case.

I love turning in general, and pen turning in particular. I had a friend, the one I made the leather pen for, ask me today if I thought I might get tired or frustrated with turning and ever give it up. I did not hesitate when I told her that would not happen, I was hooked for life! :)

wyone

so rather than calipers with a reading.. you just use a bow caliper which gives you a comparison between the two. I guess I do not need to know the actual dimension, just that they match. hmmm Interesting.. I had not thought of that. And I have three sets hanging on the wall!

Thank you!

ChinaDad

Mitch, excellent comments and I am in agreement with all of them. I appreciate what you did with the blank. I personally do not like the pens that bulge from one end to the other. Most wall streets I have seen follow the angle of the nib and then back down to the clip. I feel it is much harder to turn a pen that is straight with no bulge. You got a nice straight pen and the finish is nice.

I also agree with the use of calipers. I bought a good set of digitL calipers and starter trying to turn to the specific kits parts. I have not used bow calipers so I have no comparison. If I knew how to use those it might be quicker.

I also agree with your comment that you love turning. I too have fallen in love with turning. I acquired my Shopsmith at the end of last year and made my first turning in March 2014. I have been hooked ever since and am trying to learn as much as possible about the craft.

I the we have a lot in common. Bon starting on Shopsmiths and wanting to learn and perfect the craft. But knowing that we can always learn.

Thanks to George for the comments. It can help us all.

Top Bottom