50 pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from triw51

triw51

Had an order for 50 pens from the foundation of our local hospital. Then wanted to give them as gifts to donors who support the work the hospital does.
First is a dry and worm eaten mesquite log which I ripped into 3/4" sticks. The sticks were cut into blanks waiting to be drilled and tubes glued in the blanks are a mix of mesquite and mulberry all from this area. Lastly the pens awaiting their presentation boxes. The blanks were finished with an orange oil mix and CA.
C & C welcome

Attachments

• aapen1.jpg
    aapen1.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 209
  • aapen2.jpg
    aapen2.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 220
  • aapen3.jpg
    aapen3.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 247
  • aapen4.jpg
    aapen4.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 351
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Very nice set of pens. Fifty would have you spending a lot of time in the shop. Did you set up a sort of assembly line for them. Hard to do one at a time, IMHO. Thanks for sharing and congrats on helping to recognize those donors.

triw51

Very nice set of pens. Fifty would have you spending a lot of time in the shop. Did you set up a sort of assembly line for them. Hard to do one at a time, IMHO. Thanks for sharing and congrats on helping to recognize those donors.

I did stages I cut all the blanks (did extra). Drilled them all on the lathe then glued in the tubes (I ordered extra tubes in case I messed one up) using thick CA and let them cure over night. Started turning the next morning (I can turn two sierra blanks at a time) took about 6-7 hours to finish. Then my wife inspects them for anything I might have missed. Assembled and took photos.

triw51

I would like to hear more about the orange oil mix.

I was finishing some pen blanks and my bottle of BLO had been chewed through by a mouse or rat. I had some Howards Feed-N-Wax (brand name) and used that instead of the BLO. So used that to do my CA finish. To me there was less CA smell and left a nice finish. So I use that instead of the BLO now.

Top Bottom