50 Koa pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kalai

Kalai

Hi everyone, this is a order I got for 50 Koa pens, I just finished them today. This is just your basic slimlines, thanks to Smitty (Leroy) for getting me the kits so fast so I could finish this rush order on time, now I get to finish making some Koa boxes for you IAPers, I hope you all like the picture. I did 80 other curly Koa slimlines for a art gallery on Oahu before I did this 50 but Iforgot to take a picture of those, aloha nui loa.

Chris "Kalai"

Attachments

• 50 koa pens 007.JPG
    50 koa pens 007.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 577
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arw01

Great order!

But every single one of them has a center band. I think the band is too constraining and looks silly on a pen that is fat top and bottom. Loosing the center band is liberating for both form and aesthetics in my humble opinion.

Alan

kludge77

I'm a fan of the centerband. I think that's a good looking lot. What's more important is what your customer likes!

Sometimes I make pens that I think are quite unappealing, but if the money's coming...

Regardless, well done, and a TON of work!

Sataro

That is a nice looking bunch of pens... I think I would get tired after turning that many. But if the sales are there, then the money is nice also. Great sale!

Kalai

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.
OldMan5050, it took me about 12 days to finish the 50 pens, they have been sanded to 3000 grit and I used a CA finish on all of them, there are 3 different shape variations the customer wanted and they do want the center band, I like some pens with and some with out the center band.
After turning for over 25 years I can pop out the pens fast, I do bowls even better than pens :) I did 80 slimlines before this order of 50 and now I am setting up to do 250 slimlines, that's gunna be fun :)
You know your a good woodturner when you can keep turning and turning and you wont get dizzy :) Aloha nui loa.

Chris "Kalai"

witz1976

Holy crap! 12 days? I am doing a similar order, as you know Chris. 25 Slim pen & pencils ( which is 50 pens) and it has taken me closer to 3 weeks...bet it would have been closer to 2 if I didn't have my mishap a week and a half ago. They will be finished up today =)

TBCbushings

Not to be nosey but how much did you get for them. I had an order that fell through for 24 pens.....Just wondering.
Brian

Top Bottom