.50 Cal Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hewunch

hewunch

OK, so for the casing challenge, I decided to do something I hadn't seen done before. A .50 fountain pen. Actually, the idea came to me when I had a customer ask for a .50 cal pen and then ask if there was any way to make it a fountain. After some thought, here it is. Now the other new thing for me, is that I took the "cap" that comes on most fountain pen nibs and sections (jr anyways) and used that for a friction fit cap. This required me to make a special tool which I have pictured below. So here are some pics and then how I did it.

Lastly, I had planned on doing a custom grip for this pen, but after 8 attempts at threading for the body, I determined that the material I was threading was just too brittle. Thanks for looking and as always, comments welcome. Also, special thanks to those who sent me these caps to play with.

The pictures of the work in progress are as follows.
1. The "cap" with it's holder that will be epoxied at the bottom of the casing.
2. The cap in the holder
3. The "tool" that I used to put the holder and cap at the bottom of the casing. The piece of material around the tube is the same as the diameter on the neck of the casing so it centered the holder and cap.
4. The tool with the holder ready to be inserted.

Attachments

• .50fountainclosed.jpg
    .50fountainclosed.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 233
  • .50fountainopen.jpg
    .50fountainopen.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 285
  • capplug2.jpg
    capplug2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 193
  • capplug.jpg
    capplug.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 194
  • captool2.jpg
    captool2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 206
  • captool.jpg
    captool.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 205
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Very cool Chuck. you posted that before I joined.Did the casing screw on or did you use another method?

Last edited:

Brooks803

looks cool Hans! I actually brought some of those caps to the meeting today, but someone didn't show.....Hmmm.....now I get to keep them and play around now that I got my lathe running again :wink:

btw, you didn't miss anything :redface:

hewunch

looks cool Hans! I actually brought some of those caps to the meeting today, but someone didn't show.....Hmmm.....now I get to keep them and play around now that I got my lathe running again :wink:

btw, you didn't miss anything :redface:

Sorry, meant to message you. I am going on a trip next week so I wasn't able to make it. Play all you like, I just got a shipment of fine imported plastic caps today. :biggrin:

ctubbs

The brain power in this group is amazing, just amazing. the thinking here is so far out there that it gives us mortals a wonderful target to strive for. This gorgeous pen is just one example of that ability. Thank you for sharing and showing how.
Charles

Top Bottom