.50 Cal BMG with a twist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ragz

ragz

Hey all,

Decided to get a few of Daniels 50 cal BMG casings and tackle an idea I had for them. I've seen the pens others had made where you use the whole casing as the body. With as big as it is I thought this might work out as well.

It's still rough and I need to finish it and make a mounting block for the casing to be used as a desk set.

50 cal BMG casing with Panache turned closed end for the pen in Chakte

All comments welcome

Attachments

• DSCF0170.jpg
    DSCF0170.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 296
  • DSCF0173.jpg
    DSCF0173.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 313
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hehndc

Bill:

Slick idea. I have a 50 cal. my son gave me (he's in Iraq now). Naturally, I want to make a pen out of it and send it to him. But, the size of the finished pen seems to make it difficult to use (IMHO).

Your idea is very good, thinking out side the box, nice.

Steve

Skye

Ok, I think that's the first 50 cal pen I've really liked! Are you doing anything to keep the nib off the bottom of the shell, you know to keep it from getting gummed up?

ragz

Skye,
Yes I used the cap body of the panche as well in this. I drilled the end of the casing to the same size of the cap tube and mounted the hardware in it for the pen to attached to and not gum up the end of the pen. The end cap will also be serving as a butt plate if you will when I mount the casing to a wood block.

Daniel

Bill, sure wish I could see the pen in better detail from where I'm at. most likely as much this computer as anything though. but it looks like you recreated the look of the bullet very well. very nice idea for the use of these parts. I like it.

ragz

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback
I'll post pics of the completed version some time this weekend

ragz

Well the nice part about turning a very long "bullet" the way I did allows me to use any material for the pen body. I chose a brassy colored wood for this one to stick with the basic look of the round.
I'm also going to experiment with some other types of kits as the panache kit tubes are pretty large and not leaving alot of wood on the body. I have some odds and end pen parts so I can fiddle around with it alot

Top Bottom