5 New Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from YORKGUM

YORKGUM

Just received five new pens turned by Richard Martin. No, I didn't get my lathe yet but can't stand waiting while I have this wood that I've been collecting. So I had him turn a few more for me. Some of this wood I've never seen before and wanted to get them posted.

1. Cocobolo Burl that I just received from exoticwo (Albert)
cocobolo_burl2.jpg

2. Shittim with Sap (like mentioned in the Bible)
shittim_sap.jpg

3. Totara (Fiddleback) from New Zealand
totara.jpg

4. Kāmahi (Weinmannia racemosa) New Zealand
kamahi.jpg

5. Ancient Green Kauri
green_kauri.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rmartin

Glad you posted these, and enjoyed making them for you. They all turned out great, plus you take better pics than I do. I have a light tent, grey card and photoshop, but still can't get some of the darker woods to show as well as they should.

I wanted to mention to anyone who has made Ancient Kauri, to try this Green Kauri. I've turned more than a hundred Kauri pens, but this green Kauri is completely different. If I didn't know better, I would swear it was stablized. It was much heavier than regular Kauri. It turns and polishes great.

Here's a pic of the same Green Kauri pen as above. It has a CA/BLO finish:

photo2.jpg

PenPal

York Gum

Love that presentation of Top pens. The Shittim wood is a Blackwood similar to our Tasmanian Blackwood. Outstanding Cocobolo burl, mine is on its way as I speak stunning colours. The NZ timbers are new to me, are interesting with the Ancient Green Kauri reminding me of NZ Jade, special mention for Richard the maker and the sellers of those timbers and when you get to your lathe I look forward to many pleasant surprises.

Richard when photographing darker timbers I adjust the exposure plus one two and three stops to choose from as well as normal, like shining a light brings out more detail for me.

I am impressed all around. Peter.

YORKGUM

Another photo of a different Ancient Green Kauri pen.

93556856_full.jpg

Fabulous New Zealand Ancient Kauri Pen - very unusual green coloured kauri. This is a natural colouring that was caused by the tannin from the Manuka growing in the swamp where this kauri had been buried. Carbon dating of samples from this swamp showed that the Kauri had been buried for 3860 years.
The Kauri was maybe growing 1000 to 1500 years before some unexplained act of nature such as a tsumani caused the kauri trees to end up in a valley and become swampland.
This green colored Ancient Kauri is very rare.

PEN BLANKS GREEN WITH DIGGER.jpg

Last edited:

cnirenberg

Those pens are beauties. I love the cocobolo burl and the Kauri. Not that I will ever get to try it, but is the Kauri difficult to turn? I would think a real hardwood is easier with the right tools.

Bree

Luscious cigars! That cocobolo cigar gets me burning with jealousy!! What a great job you did on a super duper blank!!
:eek::eek::eek:

Rmartin

Dude, that last picture of the Cocobolo Burl is out of sight!

Did you take these outside in natural sun light?

I think I need a new camera. I've got a Sony Cyber-shot 7.2 mega pixels
(it can't be me, right?)

YORKGUM

Dude, that last picture of the Cocobolo Burl is out of sight!

Did you take these outside in natural sun light?

I think I need a new camera. I've got a Sony Cyber-shot 7.2 mega pixels
(it can't be me, right?)

Yes, natural light. I found that a P&S camera isn't good enough. I use a Nikon D50 digital slr and it takes amazing photos. Usually though I have to take 1/2 a dozen photos to get a few good ones. Had some good sun the last few days. Broke the heat record of 104 here in Tacoma. :cool:

Top Bottom