5 dollar kitless FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from frank123

frank123

I decided to challenge myself to make a perfect writing kitless fountain pen for under 5 dollars (pen making being an addiction that can eat up a lot of dollars).

This is what I came up with: Note that this is a first try and proof of concept idea and no paritcular attention to fit and finish (paticularly finsh) above the utilitarian level was intendnded or attempted. It was more of an exercise in careful measuring and fitting this time than anything else.

varsity finished cap off.jpg capped varsity modified.jpg varsity kitless components.jpg

Pardon the poor photography, just snapshots taken at different times and lighting. The pen actually looks much better -actually very much better- in person than in the pictures and that smudge on the cap is just a smudge from (I think) some ink on my hand that I didn't notice till after I took the picture. It wiped right off afterwards.

So here's how I approached this:

Considering that the nib and feed usually cost more than 5 dollars by themselves, I decided to try using a Pilot Varsity feed, the Varsity being a pen I am a huge fan of as it always starts and writes perfectly no matter the abuse it has taken or how long it's been since last used. Removing it from the pen is an exercize in caution and patience but it can be accomplished fairly easily. An interesting and unusual feed and nib construction that is meant to be integral to the pen.

The preciously rare and exotic resin I use had to be tube cast in a solid color to minimize any waste or coloring costs.

The clip was also an expense, but I made the style to look good with an inexpensive Louis clip.

The Varsity feed doesn't lend itself to any kind of converter or cartridge so I went dropper fill. Considered a bulb fill but that would push the cost too high.

The varsity feed is a press fit in the pen body -no section needed- so no expensive specialized tap was needed to utilize it.

The black stud for the filler cap is just a short piece of plastic scrap, it was only 7mm diameter so I didn't want to rely on the strength of the resin for it. Same for the Cap finial, but that was 8mm to fit the Louis clip. Other sizes and trhreads would work just as well, I just had those on hand anyway. Cap threads were 12 x .75 which I also had, but could be other sizes if desired.

I've been carrying and using this several days now and it is an absolutely perfect writer and perfect first touch instant starter no matter the carry position or length of time since last used. Writes perfect with three different inks I've tried, Higgins black fountain pen India, Noodlers Azure Blue, and really cheap Hero blue. Holds 2cc ink, but could be made to hold a larger quantity if you don't like refilling it so often (it still holds quite a bit more than a cartridge or converter).

Total costs:

Varsity pen for the nib 2.67 at Hobby Lobby with 40% coupon.

1.50 for Louis clip (at Indy Pen Dance)

Abbout 75 cents for the persciously exotic resin and dye I use.

Sandpaper was used scrap, 600 & 1000, filler and finial stud were scrap that was on hand and not large enough to be priceable. Didn't figure ink in the cost but also negligible.

Total $4.97

BTW, the pen posts perfectly by press fit but I didn't take a picture of it posted. I usually don't post a pen anyway, but it is nice to be able to.

Cool challenge! Minimum parts and simple design. I like the shape of pen. It looks comfortable to hold. Congratulations!

Top Bottom