5,000 years in the making

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jd99

jd99

Finally got my Roman Harvest Irish Bog Oak pen done.

Had to put the CA finish on this thing twice, the first time it soaked up the CA and left craters all over the thing.

This is going to be my carry pen.
I noticed after I took the pictures it had some dust on it, have to retake when I get a chance

Attachments

• RH-bog1.jpg
    RH-bog1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 434
  • RH-bog2.jpg
    RH-bog2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 401
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Akula

Nice, I have wanted to do one of the bog pieces for a while now...this just might have pushed me to do it

btw, I would not stick the nib like that first pic...might just be me

nativewooder

That is a very fine pen. Any time you apply a finish and get "fish-eyes" it indicates that there is silicon on or in the wood. It really messes up custom fishing rods too!

jd99

glad its not just me. the finish on mine went to hell. glad you were able to do so well on the second try

I think I am going to try stabilizing one of these blanks first and see if that helps when I do the next one.

That is a very fine pen. Any time you apply a finish and get "fish-eyes" it indicates that there is silicon on or in the wood. It really messes up custom fishing rods too!

It wasn't realy "fish-eyes" as such it was the standard thing that happens when you try to put a finish on Oak and not use grain filler.
The finish gets drawn into the little tubes in the grain, and leaves pockets in the finish.

I didn't think it would happen to this peice since it looked fairly solid.

76winger

It's a great looking pen, but in the future you'll want to find a different way to display it. Sticking the nib down in the hole of that display stand is a perfect way distort it and knock it out of tune. :eek:

And it's a good way to get this tongue-lashing (or keyboard whipping?) from a whole host of members in here. :wink:

jd99

It's a great looking pen, but in the future you'll want to find a different way to display it. Sticking the nib down in the hole of that display stand is a perfect way distort it and knock it out of tune. :eek:

And it's a good way to get this tongue-lashing (or keyboard whipping?) from a whole host of members in here. :wink:
Well before all of you get your fethers bent the Nib isn't even touching the side of the hole, there is a small ball of some museum putty on the back side of the pen at the bottom of the feed holding the end in the air (and keeping the pen from rotating) just shy of touching the hole.

Didn't know there were special rules.... Geeze:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Russianwolf

Not a fan of gold hardware on Bog Oak. Just doesn't look right to me.

The bog oak looks great, but as I've said many times, I wouldn't use a CA finish on these. This is my bread and butter material, and I've found that people tend to want it to feel like wood. They want to feel the texture of the oak. brings them closer to their heritage. Bog Oak also takes a great polish by itself as long as you're not working with a piece that's really punky, so CA isn't really needed.

Still nice looking if I look past the gold. :tongue:

Top Bottom