4th polymer clay pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigE

BigE

One of these days I'm going to learn how to take a decent photo. In the meantime, here's my 4th polymer clay pen.

My daughter (14) has an artistic lean, so I bought her some polymer clay and had her make me some blanks. I just said I wanted a swirl pattern with some sparkle. Since she's new at this, I didn't use any high end kits, but it still came out nice. This is a classic fountain pen with Bock nib. Yes, it's the old school type with the tenon that some people always had problems with.

Eight coats of Mercury Adhesives med CA glue. Sanded to 2500 grit with sandpaper, then a final polish with Hut's plastic polish.

See if you can spot the flaw in the finish? I'm thinking I may disassemble and see if I can fix the finish.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 355
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Cool a 'game', spot the flaw......
Only thing I could see, and it may just be the photo itself, is some 'white powdery' looking stuff on the edging joints near the hardware. Resolution isn't good enough to see any sanding marks...

I really like the layering pattern to make the swirls, and the fit to the hardware looks really nice!

Scott (get her to make more) B

edstreet

Going out on a limb here but broken reflection do guessing dull or uneven rough areas perhaps ripples or banding?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Stunning blank and an outstanding first effort came together to make that beautiful pen. I don't see anything wrong with the finish, I think the fit and finish are great

Last edited:

plantman

Amazing blank and finished pen.!! Best thing I like about Polymar Clay is , every time you fold it or cut it, you have a new patern or design. You never know what you are going to have for the final look and if you arn't happy with it, you can always change. Tell your girl to keep up the great work. With pen blanks she is only toughing the realm of possabilties for using Polymar Clays. Jim S

BigE

Thanks everyone!

Scott wins for finding the flaw. There is a white mark in the CA glue at the end of the blank. I believe it was introduced when I touched the end of the blank to my sanding disk to do a final cleanup on the edge.

I believe the mark is limited to the edge of the finish and the chrome is reflecting it back (looks worse in the picture due to flash).

I think this might justify buying my daughter some polymer clay tools like a pasta roller, etc. This was all by hand on a somewhat flat surface. She may have used large marker as a rolling pin.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Really nice collaboration! Pen and blank looks great. Someday I've gotta try PC. Too much to try, too little time. :)

plantman

Thanks everyone!

Scott wins for finding the flaw. There is a white mark in the CA glue at the end of the blank. I believe it was introduced when I touched the end of the blank to my sanding disk to do a final cleanup on the edge.

I believe the mark is limited to the edge of the finish and the chrome is reflecting it back (looks worse in the picture due to flash).

I think this might justify buying my daughter some polymer clay tools like a pasta roller, etc. This was all by hand on a somewhat flat surface. She may have used large marker as a rolling pin.

Watch for Hobb Lobby or Michial's to run 40-50% off one item. You can print these coupons off the internet. And they will except each others coupons. Works great on the more expensive items when you are getting started. Jim S

BigE

Thanks. I'll check them out.

Well, the pen sold before I got a chance to fix the finish. Apparently most people can't see the little problems that we notice.

Top Bottom