4th and NOW 5th Pens ever.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from negid

negid

My photography is not very good I know, but hopefully you can get the idea.

Let me know what you think and what I need to improve the most.

Oh yeah...this is a CA/BLO finish on Mahogany.

200821742151_4pen.jpg

I just finished this one and it's my first to have any embellishments.

2008217221217_5pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

Nice looking Cigar Whayne. You done pretty good for your fourth. One thing I see is the lower tube has a slight dip in the lower section. Maybe over sanded a bit. Other wise, nice start. Looks like your headed in the right direction.

writinstiks

That is a good job for a fourth pen. As has been mentioned, a slight dip in the lower end, but, I have done some that way at customers request.

I'm sure each pen will just get better.

Tom

kirkfranks

whayne,
Nice job for #4. Wish my 4th looked that good.

Only thing I see is that there looks to be a small airgap between the bottom blank and the transmision coupler. You may want to see if this just needs to be pressed home a little better. If not then maybe the barrel was not trimmed fully to get it perpendicular to the tube. You do have to be careful though on the bottom tube because if you trim too much (take away much of the brass) then the tube will be short and the pen point will not retract fully.

Rmartin

Not a bad start. Upper barrel looks good. I prefer to see a little bulge at the bottom near the nib. Also, the ciger can be a little tricky where the upper part of the lower barrel meets the coupler. Making sure the end is trimmed and sanding the edge on a slight bevel just a touch will make it align better with the rounded ring of the coupler.

Firefyter-emt

I think the gap at the coupler is from the missing center band. You you have a spare in that bag? There should be a silver (gold,? I forget) ring that goes on that centerband coupler against the blank.

The body has a slight underturn, I like to give it a gentle buldge to it so it matches the cap.

negid

Yeah, I did leave off the center band...It was my first cigar and I couldn't quite figure out where it would go. Oh well, there is always next time.

And the addiction is well under way. I have about 75 blanks and 30 kits ready for me.

They are mostly cheap slimlines, but I figured it's better to learn cheaply.

Firefyter-emt

No big deal, you should be able to tap the top part out and then the centerband. Should of send the instructions, didn't think of that! When you get a chance, look into the transfer punches at Harbor Freight, the make things like this very easy to fix. For now, you should be able to knock it out with the back side of drill bits.

Originally posted by negid

Yeah, I did leave off the center band...It was my first cigar and I couldn't quite figure out where it would go. Oh well, there is always next time.

And the addiction is well under way. I have about 75 blanks and 30 kits ready for me.

They are mostly cheap slimlines, but I figured it's better to learn cheaply.

drayman

whayne, you have done what we all have done,keep going and you will get better, thats for sure. oh and a nice pen too. well done.

CaptG

Good looking pens. All negatives have been covered above. As for the missing centerband on the first pen, it looks good without it. The blank dia. matches the plastic band and I think the gold ring against that color wood would not look as good. You are off to a good start.

rlharding

The first pen is great. Others have given tips and by the time you get to the next and the next and the next you will suddenly realize that they all look good. Your 2nd isn't to my liking at all. Too bulky by far. The treatments you have given it look nicely done and perhaps the protrusion on the bottom sits in the dead space between fingers and thumb when writing. How does the clip fit?

johncrane

Well done Whayne your pens are ok and they can be fixed, most of my first pens where s/lines and l hacked them up screwed them up you name it l done it, so compared to me l reckon you done well, if you plan on using drill bits too remove pen parts make sure your hand is protected they can bite:(:D

negid

Originally posted by rlharding
How does the clip fit?

Yeah, it's not really my style either. I was just playing around with different styles. The clip can't fit as the top is way too big. This was more a practice piece than anything else.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

R2

Didn't notice that second pen when I first posted. Must have had a glitch, unless it was posted later.
From here it looks to be stout to rotundity. I hope that is only to do with the photo.

Top Bottom