460 of 500

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jskeen

jskeen

This is a limited edition statesman kit from cs, with the "exclusive" chinese made broad point 18k gold nib. I'm not just real confident on how that stacks up against a real quality german gold nib, but hey, once you figure in the cost of the kit and the (hopefully) perceived value of the "limited edition" thing, it wasn't really that much more, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I can't say I'm that thrilled with the way it writes out of the box, but I'd assume that anybody buying one of these will have a preference on how they want the nib customized. For what I'm hoping to get for the pen, that's included in the price.

The blank is one of Ed's alternate amber, and I did a multi-step paintjob on the inside of the blank and the tube with blue ink for the dark web effect, then lengthwise strokes of red inside the blank, and finally a circumferential coat of sparkley "woman of loose moral values" red nail polish applied to the tube on the lathe.

At first I was not sure about the final effect of the colors, but it kind of grew on me. It went from "Crap, It looks like I just didn't do a good job painting the tubes" to "that's really pretty unique" It's also almost impossible to photograph well at the level of equipment I have. I've been having fits with the lighting in my newly rebuilt light box, so I probably have 30 or so poorly exposed pics of this pen on my poor old camera. Anyway, this is as good as it got before I got disgusted and quit.

Comments, condolences, jeers, ect. welcomed

Attachments

• 460of500a.jpg
    460of500a.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 502
  • 460of500b.jpg
    460of500b.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 607
  • 460of500c.jpg
    460of500c.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 426
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
OK, it's a cliche' but I gotta say it:

THAT is thinkin outside the box!!!

DIFFERENT, UNIQUE, Expensive!!!
Hand-made, truly one of a kind!!!

Great work, James!!

tim self

I love the pen but.....the red with that blank doesn't appeal to me. JMO. The pic is as good as I get with my point and shoot.

VampMN

I'm pretty new, so I have no idea about value or the nib, but I do know that I think it's beautiful! I really like the colors. Is your "prop" a piece of springbok horn?

jskeen

I'm pretty new, so I have no idea about value or the nib, but I do know that I think it's beautiful! I really like the colors. Is your "prop" a piece of springbok horn?

Gemsbok, actually. One of my favorite materials to work with. That piece is from about 1/3 up the horn. I had cut it for a predator call, but hadn't got "a round tuit" yet, so when I saw it sitting there on the bench I said to myself "self, That looks like it might work to hold a pair of pens while you take pics" and so it did.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 141

ToddMR

I am so not worthy of looking at this pen. WOW! I am at a loss for words here. Really is stunning to me.

:eek:

OKLAHOMAN

I see 2 things wrong with it......

One it's not mine and Two it's not mine, other than that it's perfect.....

PenMan1

That's pretty! Keep us updated with how it sells. With that kit you got a chunk of change invested, so hopefully it will bring a premium price.

Usually, with a limited production "anything", the closer the number is to the first (1) or the last (in this case 500) the better it sells. I would think that 460 of 500 of a kit that apparently will be no longer available when 40 more sell, should do well if you emphasize that there will be no more of these!

Last edited:

jskeen

I would think that 460 of 500 of a kit that apparently will be no longer available when 40 more sell, should do well if you emphasize that there will be no more of these!

Actually, I'm seriously thinking about just tucking it away until that kit goes away on CSUSA's website then putting it out for sale. I suspect that "completely sold out" may cost more than "almost sold out" by a respectable margin.

AND.... in a fit of uncharacteristic contemplation, I decided to actually check the facts before I shoot off my mouth, and off I go to check the website. Quick phone call confirms that the limited edition kits (all varieties) are no more, never again to be offered. Cool, price just went up :)

Of Course, if somebody want's to make me an offer, I will give it serious consideration, (just cause I like you guys so much) :)

What does your title mean???

Craft Supply USA had a limited edition of 500 Emperor and Statesman kits (500 of each kit, in each platinum/gold and platinum/black TI) made up, with the serial number engraved on the cap of each pen, and sold them with a 18k gold broad tip nib (that don't say it, but I'm fairly certain is still chinese) They were available for as long as I have been making pens (which is no where as long as some on here) but apparently never made a huge splash. A couple of months ago, I noticed that the platinum/gold version of this was out of stock, and having just sold a display full of pens to a local Taxidermist, I could actually afford to get one, so I did. The one I got was # 460 of 500.

Last edited:

broitblat

I'm not sure I fully comprehend your painting process, but I sure like the results. I think the colors work well together and add even more depth to that blank.

-Barry

EarlD

OK, I wasn't a member when this pen was posted last year or I would have commented before now. That's just fantastic!

Do you still have it???

Earl

jskeen

OK, I wasn't a member when this pen was posted last year or I would have commented before now. That's just fantastic!

Do you still have it???

Earl

Actually, yes, I do. I haven't found anybody yet that wants it as bad as I do. But it has sold a few other pens for me at a few hundred less. :)

Top Bottom