.45 cal pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from scotirish

scotirish

These are the only two of these I will ever use. :mad::mad: They are very hard to put together. Notice the one on the right has no Trim Ring on the bottom of the Upper Barrel. This is because the Trim Ring falls off and instructions tell you to use a "drop" of ca glue to keep it on. :redface::redface: The one of the left took six "drops" before it stuck together. :confused::confused: The right one was stuck until I tried to press on the Clip Retaining Coupler then came off and was crushed. Speaking of the Clip Retaining Coupler it is very hard to insert, it is an extremely tight fit into the end of the Click Mechanism and takes a great deal of strength to get it to go in. :eek::eek: That aside, the one on the left is made with a "Jim Beam" blank and the one on the right with Red Gum.
On that I would suggest you try one as I may have been the problem. :redface::redface:

Attachments

• DSCN1193.jpg
    DSCN1193.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I have made several of these. I glued the trim rings on before assembling. I carefully turned the barrels to size, checking frequently with calipers because I was told the fit was critical.

To glue the trim rings on, I put a drop of thin CA on a piece of waxed paper from a cracker box. The drop spread to a thin puddle. I rubbed the end of the upper (cross-hatched) brass tube in this puddle and then placed it in the trim ring lying flat and then left to cure

Final assembly was fairly easy after that.

But .... I will not be making any more .... the finished pen just does not appeal to me or anybody else. Others said differently, YMMV

Last edited:

vakmere

:frown: It does look unappealing and not fun to write with. This bait is designed to catch the fisherman, not the fish.

Top Bottom