4 white scallops

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I did the blank ages ago but there was a chip / gap that I wasn't sure if it was just near the surface or went all the way through, which would have ruined it of course. Luckily it dissapeared as it turned down. :biggrin:

My wife likes it but says to make another one with the pattern the full length, but I'm not sure. I think it will be a bit OTT and not worth all the work. :confused:

Not very fancy but I hope you like this one anyway. :) Instead of the regular angled scallops, these are cut perpendicular to the blank.
But I hope I get more than a Saturday morning to play in my workshop someday soon as I'm suffering from kitless-pen withdrawal symptons. :redface:

Attachments

• 4WhiteScallopsC.jpg
    4WhiteScallopsC.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 486
  • 4WhiteScallopsO.jpg
    4WhiteScallopsO.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 383
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ugrad

That's a lovely blank. What material did you use for the inserts and what kind of pen kit is that?

regards
Peter

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Peter, the inserts are brass shim bent to 90deg and I believe that the kit is the only kit that actually doesn't have a name. It's sold simply as a Dayacom Rollerball. ( well, it is from the vendor I bought it from )

Curly

Listen to your wife. She is right on in this instance. It looks great. I also see a matching one in black (maybe with aluminium and rhodium or chrome hardware) to make a pair of wedding pens. :rolleyes:

I wonder how one of those would look with "W"s instead of "V"s? That would probably end up being OTT. :wink:

Gilrock

Hope you don't mind but I opened you're image in Photoshop and with one operation "Auto Color" I think it looks a lot nicer.

Attachments

• 4WhiteScallopsO.jpg
    4WhiteScallopsO.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 173

Jjartwood

Very elegant,Very clean, A taste and design clinic in a few pictures.
I watch and I learn from the guys like you and how you make these beautiful pens
and am in awe of how you guys make them "LOOK" like they were easy to make
because you have the understanding of how a pen should flow.
Mark

wiset1

Show off, ha ha ha. Always a fan of your work Steven and when I get back in the shop I've got some designs inspired by your work that I hope to work out. Great looking pen the way it is!

alamocdc

Stephen, I love the pen. But I have to disagree with the "all the way" thing. That said, I DO think the pattern should continue for 2/3 the length of the body barrel.

jttheclockman

I think the pen looks great just the way it is. Not too busy for the length of that blank. Thanks for showing. I am sure you will show us all how you did the angled scallops.:)

terryf

Steven,

I sure wish you lived closer! I would love to see you work in person and pick your brain!

Jason

Jason, thats not a bad idea!

I think I might just plan a trip to pick the masters brain :biggrin: well actually under the guise of having a few stiff whiskeys :rolleyes:

Whens the best time to come visit Steven?

ps. oh ja, lekker pen ou pellie :) baie mooi!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Many thanks all

Hope you don't mind but I opened you're image in Photoshop and with one operation "Auto Color" I think it looks a lot nicer.

I certainly don't mind at all Gil. My pics used to be pretty good, but I seem to be losing my touch recently. I use Picassa 3 to straighten and resize but that's about it. I think my camera settings might not match my lighting. I'll look into getting Photoshop. Thanks :)

Sorry Skip, but I have to agree with the wife. It is a beautiful pen, and a great design, but could be even nicer covering the whole length. Now stop being lazy and get to work:biggrin:

Ok, I'm confused...:confused: I like it short, my wife wants it long :eek: and you lot are completely mixed up. :biggrin: I'll make one where the pattern almost reaches the ends without overlapping the end of the blank and see how it works.

I am sure you will show us all how you did the angled scallops.:)

JT, you of all people must have seen exactly how these were cut, instantly. :wink::biggrin: But I've shown dozens of pics of how I do these, just a slight variation each time. :wink:

Dankie boet !!. You are welcome anytime of course, but we have summer in the 3rd week of July ( if it's not raining :rolleyes: ) so pop round and we'll strike up the braai:cool:

terryf

Dankie boet !!. You are welcome anytime of course, but we have summer in the 3rd week of July ( if it's not raining :rolleyes: ) so pop round and we'll strike up the braai:cool:

The wife and I are planning a trip to Iceland next year around June/July and we'll be coming through Heathrow so may as well stop and say hi to all the friends.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
You are going to have to take a vote. I vote for what you did, but my advice is do whatever your wife says :rolleyes:

Harry

Funny you should mention that Harry......my wife said the same thing. :biggrin:

Here are the results so far.

18 scallops in black and gold ( brass ) because I didn't have enough white.
Should fit with a few mm uncut black on either end.

Doing the last few cuts was serious pucker factor 10. :eek::biggrin:

I did this before travelling to my hotel today and will complete it on the weekend. Hopefully it won't blow up when I drill it. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 108
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 101
Top Bottom