4 new Bolt Action

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RichB

RichB

Here are four new Bolt Action pen I just finished for our next show. I had to show these because the drilling worked great. Two of them have Raw Antler showing but notice on the other one I was able to drill very close to teeth marks from an animal eating the antler. We sold out on some we had at our last show. The customer liked the solidness of the components and the fact you can engage the refill with one hand. Enjoy looking. RichB

Attachments

• IMG_0927.jpg
    IMG_0927.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 243
  • resizeIMG_0924.jpg
    resizeIMG_0924.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 484
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

What refill do they use (I assume Parker)?

I love the antler pens, the look, knowing what they are from. Have they been able to keep them in stock?

RichB

Edicehouse, They do take a Parker refill. When I ordered them they were in stock, but he did say they are a good seller, this was PSI. I ordered by phone and got then in 2 days.

Tkbarron, the two in the middle are GunMetal and the two on the outside are Chrome. They are very easy to make.

Thanks for the look RichB

corian king

Very nice! Great work.
I managed to pick up three when they first came out and finished them in antler.They sold very fast.I have a few more on hand.maybe one day I will get around to getting them finished.

Polarys425

The gnaw marks are most likely that of a mouse, in case you're wondering. Chances are the antlers in question were scavenged after being dropped. The mice really like gnawing on them. I have some antler out in the shop like that.

RichB

Thanks Kevin. Some of my friends said Porcupines, and some said Mice as you did. They are sheds. I was so happy the drilling came out perfect for the turning. Thanks again. RichB

Polarys425

Have you tried boiling antler to straighten it? I boiled a couple pieces for about 30min with a little vinegar which is per the instructions i've seen and clamped them in a vice. Left them over night, but they still rebounded to a curve after being released.

I have just a couple more pieces that I can get pens out of as it, then the rest will have to be straightened.

ALA

Looks great! Thanks for sharing. I received a kit from PSI the other day. I was thinking of useing Black Walnut but the antler does look good. :rolleyes:

RichB

Kevin, I have never tryed straightening the Antler. I know some have done it but I don't know how they did it. A lot of my Antler is small, I only get some bigger at the base.

Polarys425

Kevin, I have never tryed straightening the Antler. I know some have done it but I don't know how they did it. A lot of my Antler is small, I only get some bigger at the base.

Ok, I guess I'll try again and see what it does. I'm going to my father-in-laws shortly to see what he has. He said there was a good bit I could look to see if I can use it.

I'm hoping his collection is good as I need to get a bunch of pens made for a heritage festival coming up soon. I've made two of these bolt action pens with antler so far, and they are the bomb. I'm betting pens with antler will be popular, as well as the Civil War pens I'm making using the Stonewall Jackson Prayer Tree (white oak) that fell last year here locally.

Top Bottom