4 month old turner complete newbie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from scrollsawwoodart

Not really 4 months old but to turning I'm a newbie!:redface:

Well I have been lurking for quite sometime and I have asked just one question as of now but, the more and more I read and learn about this great art I know I will have more and there are some very knowledgeable.

Thought I would show my first actually completed pens that I got as my starter kit from grizzly. I know not the best photo but I see there is a section even for that.

I have bought myself some silmar 41 and some molds from misterart.com and plan on taking the leap and making some acrylic blanks. I will ask my questions there.

Here are the first ones, I started turning in February of this year so 4 months and I am hooked.

Thanks for looking,
Jesse

Attachments

• penweb2.jpg
    penweb2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 209
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

Welcome to a wonderful new hobby. It is addictive - and like anything that is addictive can be costly! Watch out for that :rolleyes:

It is also nice if you have someone to turn with (my husband and I both turn) and recently both my father and my son started.

From the looks of your pens it seems like you are about right on track for 4 months if not a little ahead of the game! You have already started doing shapes and that is one of the skills that some of us either wait a while to do or never really get the hang of.

I do agree that the photos aren't optimal - that too can be learned and improved on if photography is something you are interested in. If you aren't and you don't plan on putting pens on a website anywhere, then a nice photo (which you find satisfactory) will probably be sufficient to put in a memory album or log of some type.

Let me ask about finish - it's hard to tell in the photo. Are you using, Hut, BLO or CA finish? Personally we use the CA and sometimes BLO if needed. If that is a Hut finish be aware that it will show wear pretty quickly due to the oils and dirts from a persons hands.

Hope you find this helpful!

Mrs.

Jgrden

Jesse: Congratulations. We are sure happy to see your posts. A big Texas HUG from John and Mary Grden. Pens - 2-26-10 Franks SSR 2.jpg

bbuis

Welcome and the pens look great. I am trying to get shapes down now and practicing on keychains instead of pens. Hopefully moving it to pens soon.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader

Rfturner

Welcome from California and welcome to the pen vortex, I don't have enough money for this new thing so I have to sell more pens...to sell more pens I have to have this other new thing...the cycle never stops just grows

Thanks so much

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the great comments on my newbie pens. These pens taught me a lot about the lathe, tools, finishes, woods, and much more about this art.

MLK- thanks for the insight on the photographs about pens, I believe the finish is hut. This is the one that came with the Grizzly kit. It is a 2 part stick system, cream color, brown stiks. Already using the cedar pen I can tell that the finish is starting to wear a little. Here is a newbie question for you as well as others. Can you reapply a finish to a completed pen? Should I make one of the disassembaler jigs to remove all the pieces and re apply the finish.

I have been reading and reading about the CA finish and I really like the end glassy result. I did just turn down a stick of oak I had and saw some where about using super glue as a finish and tried that but, the smell, and the fact that the paper towel got stuck to the piece made me want to read a little more.

Again thanks for the comments and keep them coming. Constructive criticism is the we all learn, some can take it and this is how I was raised to learn from.

Thanks
Jesse

Top Bottom