4 click pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

I had a doctor's appointment on Wed and he ordered 4 click pens for his 4 nurses. I only had the gellwriter pro from PSI and since I'm not a CB kind of guy on slimlines I just made them from one piece of wood. Comments welcome, good, bad, or indifferent.
Do a good turn daily!
don
200612222132_4%20clicks.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I haven't made them one piece yet but they do show a lot of "uninterupted wood"
Don do all these "clicks" sound the same?
My "hat pen" and the antler I posted yesteday both work fine but sound "different"

its_virgil

Thanks guys. The bottom pen is mesquite. Didn't show the dark streak on the outside of the blank, but when I got down to it I decided to leave it well enough alone. The next on up is cedar, the buckeye, and the top is ????. It is a blank that someone sent me and I didn't write the name on it. If anyone knows, the share with us.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

broitblat

I think they are very nicely done. I like the woods and the workmanship, but I think the bottom most one could use a center band or something else to dress it up.

its_virgil

Eagle,
I just clicked all of them and they each sound different...and the click feels different. One of them doesn't want to work every time, which is why I had these unmade. I made a few of thse over a year ago and wasn't happy with the click mechanism. I need to check that one out. BTW, I liked your antler one you posted yesterday.

Anyone have any reports on the other click pens out there. Seems they are all somewhat the same, except for the americana clicks from Berea where the entire top is "clicked".

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />I haven't made them one piece yet but they do show a lot of "uninterupted wood"
Don do all these "clicks" sound the same?
My "hat pen" and the antler I posted yesteday both work fine but sound "different"

its_virgil

Barry,
I'm not happy with the look of this mesquite and I'm debating on taking it apart and finding another blank. The blank looked nice preturned but not so nice finished.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by broitblat
<br />I think they are very nicely done. I like the woods and the workmanship, but I think the bottom most one could use a center band or something else to dress it up.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Don
That raises another question.
Are you able to take these apart wihtout trashing the "click" mechanism?
I have had much luck taking this click apart without ruining hte "guts"

pete00

Don

Nice job on all of them, i like the first two the best. There is more pattern to the wood, so i think it looks good with out a center band. The last one looks like something is missing. So from your hard work i have learned, if i make a one piece it should be from nicely figured wood. Thanks for posting........pete

its_virgil

To those who asked about taking the click pen apart:

How do I get them apart? I make them by pressing the two blanks onto the CB/coupler then grinding the CB portion down to the OD of the tubes. Or, I chuck the CB/coupler into my Beall Collet chuck and use a parting tool to part off the CB. To dissassemble I take off the nib and remove the refill. Then I part off the wood from the center portion holding the blank with one of the Beall collets (don't know the size, I just pick the right one by fitting. Other chucking systems will work, just don't crush the tubes. Next, remove the tubes from the coupler. The lower end has one pressed in part that the nib screws onto and can be knocked out with a punch. The upper end is different. The click mechanism can be pushed out from the top...but be careful. Once the click mechanism is removed then the clip assembly can be pushed out. If all else fails, I remove the brass tubes by peeling it off the parts. I think one piece tubes is the answer and makes these easier to make. I didn't have any longer tubes of this size. Several of our suppliers have 10" sections of various size tubes. Using one piece tubes will allow the click mechanism to be pushed out the nib end. Using the two tubes and couplers makes this not possible because the ID of the CB/coupler is smaller than the tube ID. I suppose it could be reamed out to the proper ID. I just think one piece tubes would be much less work. After the parts are all removed, the blanks can be mounted and the remaining wood removed and you're ready to start over.I will be ordering more 10" sections of tubes the next time I order kits. I do hope all of this makes sense and it is not a fool proof system. The click mechanism is very easy to damage. Luckily, I've not had to dissassemble these pens very often. I think I have been successfull on about two-thirds of the click pen dissassemblies.
But, I do like the look of these pens without the CB and the one wood piece look.

This modification can also be done with the slimline pencil to make exactly matching pen and pencil sets. Or, to just get a different look from the slimline pencil.

2006122175434_Lone%20star%20duo.jpg

Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />Don
That raises another question.
Are you able to take these apart wihtout trashing the "click" mechanism?
I have had much luck taking this click apart without ruining hte "guts"

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
You can't use a one piece tube Don.
If you notice the couplee has an "up" and a "Down"
You need the copler piece inside for the mechanism to "bottom" out on.

its_virgil

Thanks Eagle. I didn't even think about that. That explanis why one of the ends of the CB/coupler that presses into the tubes is longer than the other and why one didn't work when I put it in wrong. I must be more careful to be sure the pen is put together with the correct end up so the mechanism works correctly. thanks again. I'll cancel plans to purchase the longer tubes.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />You can't use a one piece tube Don.
If you notice the couplee has an "up" and a "Down"
You need the copler piece inside for the mechanism to "bottom" out on.

its_virgil

I have made slimline pencils with one long tube. That way I can make the pen and pencil identical. Like this.

200612222931_Lone%20star%20duo.jpg

Do a good turn dailyu!
Don

<br />Youn use the longer tube for the one piece Power point 2 MM pencil

[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom