4 Calligraphy Pens (First and last)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well, this was interesting :biggrin:. My brother is a very talented pen and ink artist. Won numerous awards many years ago. Then he went to the Dark Side and is a "Data Base Miner for a large Bank (VP Level :eek:) rebundling loans for resale. Works 60-70 hrs a week... I have been trying to get him to get back to his art, and this has been a promised bribe.

He will put his own nibs on and whatever ink he uses.

Each is between 6.5" - 7" so there were a few challenges.

1. After 2 hrs on the lathe (my mother always told me I was slow)... Amboyna gets "tired" and tends to snap (DAMHIK). Heat/pressure I assume.

2. At the very right side (non nib end), if you hold/support the Alumilite too tightly you will discover the melting temperature of a beautiful Brooks803 Blank (DAMHIK). Stupidity I assume. It got all "limpy" and looked... well I'll leave it at that. BUT!!! It was easy to turn the headstock chuck and reform the right end and sand into a much better form!!! Guess which one it was???

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

#1 - Oak Ballaster Scrap (Trial Pen)
#2 - Jonathon Brooks Blank
#3 - Amboyna
#4 - Jonathon Broonks Blank

Comments and critique welcome!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Nice recovery on the Brooks Blank. I think I know which one gave you problems but would never have even suspected if I hadn't been looking. They all look great and I hope they inspire your brother to put them to good use.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Would it be the shortest one?:confused: I think you did very well on ALL of these Mark. I've never bothered trying to make one because, I don't know what I would do with it. I surely do hope your bro will do with these nice pens, what they are made for since HE has the talent.

magpens

Very nice work !! . Is the part that holds the nib made of metal ? ... and where do you buy those ? ... inserted in a drilled hole ?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Would it be the shortest one?:confused: I think you did very well on ALL of these Mark. I've never bothered trying to make one because, I don't know what I would do with it. I surely do hope your bro will do with these nice pens, what they are made for since HE has the talent.

Hi Chuck! It was the blue one! By the way, the Amboyna is a Brother to a blank in a package that is due at your place tomorrow. :) Have fun.

Thanks to all for the kind comments.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very nice work !! . Is the part that holds the nib made of metal ? ... and where do you buy those ? ... inserted in a drilled hole ?

Hi Mal, yes, they are metal:

Nib Inserts - Dip Pens - Pen Kits & Parts

They fit into a 7 MM tube. I cut them in half, so the tube is only 1" into the blank; hence why my pin chuck is only partially in. Worked fine, but a challege
for my skill level.

There are a lot of calligraphy and artist's nibs available. These are above my pay scale!!!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

Hi Chuck! It was the blue one! By the way, the Amboyna is a Brother to a blank in a package that is due at your place tomorrow. :) Have fun.

Thanks to all for the kind comments.
:eek: WHAT??? :eek: Do you expect ME to make one of these??:redface: Thanks a lot Mark :biggrin:

edstreet

I have never worked with that product listed but on the site they show brass tubes?? I have always made my own.

You mentioned first and last? Why the last? I hope it was not the 15 minute time factor :)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Great pens Mark. Be sure to show some of your brother's first work with these pens. I hope they get him out of workaholic mode for a while.

They all look great, but I actually like the oak one best. It has nice, clean lines and looks more like a classic calligraphy pen.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
It was a fun project and I will certainly use the tailstock jig again; I just can't imagine anyone else asking me to make one.

Hmmmm.....I think in your future I see.....

an MPG Demo!!!!!!! :devil:

(How about it Bob Jackson? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:)

Well, the chances are pretty slim,

actually very slim... :biggrin:

They apponited a real knuckle-head

to set up the demo's this year

(ME).

:cool::cool::cool:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
And also,... I was wrong! I am in NY for a memorial service for a good friend's mother today. And in general discussion with the folks here (35-40), a 22 yr. old student started doing calligraphy last year, so I have 2 more pens to make. :)

Top Bottom