3rd try at a segmented pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from keepanionme14

keepanionme14

I tried a few different times, but kept having one part of the segment fly off. The one that came out is this one. It's curly maple and red dyed buckeye burl on a brushed satin comfort pen.

Attachments

• copy.jpg
    copy.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 225

lwalper

Those look great together. I've found that when I have failures with pieces flying off it's usually because I failed to get a good glue joint between the blank and tube. It's hard to know if you've actually got glue all the way down the tube. Try epoxy or Gorilla glue -- that foaming kind. It gets in and fills some places you might otherwise miss.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very Nice! The color combinations are cool. Good for you; my first attempts were straight through the blank (no angle), why take a chance on flying pieces... Yes, some still flew (wrong bits... why follow suggestions :laugh:).

Keep at it!

Good looking pen! I have found, like others have mentioned, the glue and how you use it makes all the difference in a great blank and a bunch of pieces on the floor. I now use FastCap's Rubber Toughened 2P-10 CA glue. They advertise it as "10% stronger". I think they underestimated that figure. I've used it on several segmented pens and other turnings and have had no problem with the glue failing. Of course it does cost a little more, but for my time and effort, I think its worth it.

Top Bottom