3rd try at....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Janster

Janster

.....a Cigar single tube pen. This is on a Smitty V2. I did not use any wood building this instrument. well.......Jan

Attachments

• DSC_0112.jpg
    DSC_0112.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I love the clean simplier look. Possibly a bit higher on the blank, but all else looks great!

OH... If I ever figure how to get some Bourbon labels off the bottles in good shape, I'll talk to you!!!

Kenny Durrant

I don't know if you've tried this or maybe this is what you did. When I cast stamps or something that doesn't take up the whole tube I would take a piece of wood, the same kind of wood that would be on the bottom half of the pen, and make a copy of it on a color copy machine. The only thing I had to guess at was how dark to make the copy because when you finish wood it darkens as well. Sometimes it was hard to match the two. The other was the seam. The darker the better the copy because you can use a pencil or marker to hide the white edge of the seam when you cut the paper to fit. Take the marker and drag the side of the tip along the edge of the paper. There is also the grain matching at the seam but I just put it under the clip and lived with the rest. I've unwrapped a few cigars in the last few weeks and I can tell you the leaf is wrapped like the stripes on an old barber pole. I don't know how old you are they are in a spiral like threads on a screw. Ha Ha. I would try to copy the tobacco leaf and try to get one with a lot of stems through out and darken it up a few notches. Like I mentioned earlier color the edges with a marker and glue it on the tube the same way it was wrapped around the cigar. That way you don't have to worry about straight line seams. The pen above looks great to by the way. Good Luck.

Janster

I don't know if you've tried this or maybe this is what you did. When I cast stamps or something that doesn't take up the whole tube I would take a piece of wood, the same kind of wood that would be on the bottom half of the pen, and make a copy of it on a color copy machine. The only thing I had to guess at was how dark to make the copy because when you finish wood it darkens as well. Sometimes it was hard to match the two. The other was the seam. The darker the better the copy because you can use a pencil or marker to hide the white edge of the seam when you cut the paper to fit. Take the marker and drag the side of the tip along the edge of the paper. There is also the grain matching at the seam but I just put it under the clip and lived with the rest. I've unwrapped a few cigars in the last few weeks and I can tell you the leaf is wrapped like the stripes on an old barber pole. I don't know how old you are they are in a spiral like threads on a screw. Ha Ha. I would try to copy the tobacco leaf and try to get one with a lot of stems through out and darken it up a few notches. Like I mentioned earlier color the edges with a marker and glue it on the tube the same way it was wrapped around the cigar. That way you don't have to worry about straight line seams. The pen above looks great to by the way. Good Luck.

If one was to cut strips, one would see the straight line cuts and it would look unnatural, IMO. The seam would be obvious. I have some other ideas to employ. Overall I think they resemble tobacco leave quite well. The next try will show leaf veins, I hope. Thanks for your input and be well....Jan

Top Bottom