3rd Time's a Charm- Amboyna Jr. Gent Twist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from nilsatcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilsatcraft

This is really ridiculous but one customer has sent back two pens due to minor imperfections. The first time they didn't like the fact that there was glue visible between the alternative ivory inlay and the wood. The second time they didn't think the wood on the top of the pen and the bottom of the pen matched up well enough. This is my third version (stayed up to midnight in the shop again) and there is nothing to complain about. The fit is great, the finish is great, the glue joints are none too shabby, the mechanism twists beautifully, etc. I'm at my threshold financially - if this one doesn't work for them there's nothing more I can do. I have faith (hopefully not misplaced) that the third time really is the charm. In any case, I really like how it turned out. Comments are welcome.

20051220204432_Version3.5.jpg

20051220204449_Version3.5.1.jpg

2005122020453_Version3.5.3.jpg

2005122022435_Version3.5.2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Nils, you know that I'm always here for you. I'll take those other two off your hands - I don't want the frustration from them eating away at you any longer. I mean, you'll have the satisfaction of having made and sold an amazing pen, and that's really the thing you want to dwell on, not those other shoddy pieces. I mean, heck, if I were you, I wouldn't want them sitting around my shop/workplace where others might see them and thus further lower their esteem of you. I'll PM you my address right away, so you'll sleep better at night, especially with the stress of the holidays coming in full force.

C_Ludwigsen

Nils, if they don't like that one, give them a gouge and an instructional video and welcome them to show you exactly what it is they are looking for. Your pens are superb and would be proud to own one.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Nils, great work. One thing I finally learned when I was in private practice is that you don't need or want every potential patient, or in this case client. People who stress you and complain about every little thing are simple more trouble than they are worth. Tell this guy you don't want his business, although perhaps more diplomatically than in those terms.

FWIW,

punkinn

It's absolutely exquisite. I can't imagine what your customer's problem is; I'm as much a perfectionist as most any and I'd be thrilled with that beauty. <drool>

Nancy

Easysport

That is one great looking pen Nils. If they turn that one down there's something really wrong with this person. P.S. you could send it to me and I'll admire it every single day. [:p][:p]

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Nils, great work. One thing I finally learned when I was in private practice is that you don't need or want every potential patient, or in this case client. People who stress you and complain about every little thing are simple more trouble than they are worth. Tell this guy you don't want his business, although perhaps more diplomatically than in those terms.

FWIW,

Reminds me of the 80/20 rule.
80% of your headaches come from 20% of yout customers.

nilsatcraft

Thanks for the compliments. You're all very kind. [:)] I just sent these pics to the client and they said it looks great. They'll have the pen on Thursday so that's the day of judgement. I received the other two back and sold one of them already. I'll try to sell the other if I can, if not I'll just have to give it to one of you [:p]. If they don't like it (stay away, Murphy) then there are plenty of better penturners on this group that I can refer them to. [;)] I guess I'll cross Ed off my list, though, since you're not interested.

pete00

Nils
the pen looks super, you may never please everyone. Do your best, tell folks your proud of your product.If you think you can "fix" what the customer sees as "broken" go for it. If you cant thank them for ther time, tell them you hope to improve to meet there expectations (future customer-send them a better pen later)and go on.
Customers are never right but if you want customers they are. Take the two pens that were returned and put them on the market again. Someone will be amazed at your handy work and think that it is just perfect for them.

Like picking out a unwanted pup at the pound. [:)]

used to play in sales quite a bit...pete

melogic

I know exactly what you are dealing with Nils. I made a Statesman Fountain pen and a Statesman Rollerball both out of ebony for a doctor. He loved them, until he had them together and realized they were a few shades of black difference. I tried to explain to him about wood and how each piece is different. I also explained that I could get him black pens as black as he wanted out of acrylic. He said he wanted wood. 4 Statesman later I finally told him this is it, take them or take your money back. He still has the pens and I refused to make him any other pens ever again. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses. I also explained to him this was a hobby and I do this for fun and he was seriously screwing with my statistics.
Great looking pen and I would be proud of such a work of art.

alamocdc

Nils, I've liked all three! And I saw absolutely nothing wrong w/the last Amboyna burl you did. Getting burl grain to line up can be like organizing parents at a PTA meeting. Every now and then you run into that one customer you regret doing business with. Hopefully they are far and few between. Great pen! BTW, you can send me your rejects... pens, not customers. [;)]

lkorn

Originally posted by melogic
<br />. I also explained that I could get him black pens as black as he wanted out of acrylic. He said he wanted wood. 4 Statesman later I finally told him this is it, take them or take your money back.

As a Monday morning Quarterback here, and by the way thanks for the learning curve. If the customere wants a specific color, AND they want is of wood, we all need to set the ground rules for wood up front. Dyed wood will stay more consistant in color. Clear Maple, with black india ink is a dead ringer for Ebony and it wont check on you. Black is black ebony is ebony, and they dont have to be the same. DAMHIKT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom