3rd pen...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from betwisted

betwisted

It's a royal blue acrylic blank (purchased) with a Rockler 24kt slimline kit (the last from my starter set). I made this one tonight while the wife was working out. I've only had a lathe since the beginning of this weekend so I'm using the inexpensive kits to teach myself how to turn and create the shapes I want. MM finish with Meguires scratch remover and wax. I still had some radial scratches even after stopping the lathe and sanding long ways. Maybe pressing too tight? a couple more sanding sessions smoothed out the scratches.

thanks for lookin, and comments, questions, suggestions are appreciated.
Joe

Attachments

• HTP00003-Copy.jpg
    HTP00003-Copy.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 160

JohnGreco

Looking good! Before moving to MM i usually do 400 & 600 wet sand to help with any of those scratches. Also, you may want to consider a buffing system...as you get those deeper radial scratches out you will begin to notice even at 12k grit the MM pads leave something to be desired. Penn State has a good 2 wheel plastic polish set for not too much if I remember correctly.

chevyguy65

Nice job on your pen!
We turn as smooth as we can on the lathe... sand from 240 to 600, then micro mesh to 12000 and the 2-3 passes with Hut ultra polish. and cleaning with a small piece of old t-shirt= deep wet looking shine!
Try a few wood pens to build your technique and confidence.. Our first few acrylics took a lot of time and caused us a lot of frustartion

George417

Well done.
I normally use 4-0 steel wool to do the buffing followed by
a buffing wheel of Trip and then White Dia.
It produces one heck of a glass finish.

:biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom