3rd Marine Division Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BeSquare

BeSquare

A few weeks ago I had posted the plan for a pen for my father in law. He is a Marine veteran who served in Vietnam in 1967. The design changed a bit along the way but I think the result has been great. I had to get it out in the mail today so I wasn't able to set up the lightbox but I did get a few pictures snipped before I sent it out.

The kit is a gold titanium gentlemen rollerball from CSUSA, the upper barrel is american white holly. The logo for the 3rd Marine Division was made using laser decal paper. I finished it first by applying 2 coats of medium CA and polishing it and then applying the waterslide decal. Once that was on I finished it with 10 coats of medium CA and polished it with Micro Mesh.

The bottom of the pen is a segmented blank of american white holly, 2 pieces of blue buckeye burl and one of red buckeye burl. It is meant to look like the Marine dress blue uniform with the blood stripe down each side.

This pen was a joy to make and I truly hope that it is a joy for my father in law.

Attachments

• marine_pen_01.png
    marine_pen_01.png
    419.3 KB · Views: 241
  • marine_pen_02.png
    marine_pen_02.png
    414 KB · Views: 262
  • marine_pen_03.jpg
    marine_pen_03.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 163
  • marine_pen_04.jpg
    marine_pen_04.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BeSquare

Thank all for the kind words, the delivery of the pen got delayed by a few days so I was able to pull out the light box and take some pictures so I thought I'd share those as well. Can't wait to see his face when he gets it.

Attachments

• custom1-1.jpg
    custom1-1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 124
  • custom2-2.jpg
    custom2-2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 121

BeSquare

Well done on the segmenting!! Very clean going from one material to the other!!!

Scott (keep them comin) B

Thanks, turning that was actually a real challenge for me because the burl was so much softer then the holly. Really reinforced having a soft touch and letting the tool do the work.

BlackPearl

Evidently he and I were "in country" at the same time. the only problem I see with the pen is that if it was mine I would never use it.

My handwriting is not worthy of such a magnificent instrument, I could not stand the pressure of trying to write legibly enough to credit the pen.

Top Bottom