3rd kitless attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jj9ball

jj9ball

Here is my third kitless attempt. It is finally starting to get a little less frustrating. This one has a #6 bock nib M9 X .75 threads on section to body and M12 X .75 threads body to cap. The clip is held with a finial with M10 x 1.0 threads. Please give me any comments good or bad. I'm finding the design part and what looks aesthetically pleasing is really tricky. I could use some feedback. Also, does anyone have a suggestion for a kind of "standard" combination of threads for each individual part of the pen? Once you get a few taps and dies it gets hard to decide what to do. Last question is what does everyone suggest for number of body threads? My wife says my pens are too long winded... like me:laugh:

Attachments

• IMG_8748.jpg
    IMG_8748.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_8749.jpg
    IMG_8749.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_8750.jpg
    IMG_8750.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_8755.jpg
    IMG_8755.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 176
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

watch_art

It can use either cart or converter - if he puts a bit of grease on the section threads it will work as an eyedropper, too.

As for number of threads on the barrel, I like 3 or 4 threads. That doesn't mean 3 or 4 full turns for the cap going on or off. The number of threads I leave behind in the cap will determine turns on and off. If I can get it down to two turns then I'm happy.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Design is the hardest part of it all. Personally, It looks like the cap is a little long. You might fatten it a little more and hide the clip ring by recessing it.

jj9ball

Design is the hardest part of it all. Personally, It looks like the cap is a little long. You might fatten it a little more and hide the clip ring by recessing it.

Good point. I wondered that the first time I screwed the cap on. It seems like my section ends up being long compared to other people's pens and I think that combined with too many threads makes the cap too long.

jj9ball

It can use either cart or converter - if he puts a bit of grease on the section threads it will work as an eyedropper, too.

As for number of threads on the barrel, I like 3 or 4 threads. That doesn't mean 3 or 4 full turns for the cap going on or off. The number of threads I leave behind in the cap will determine turns on and off. If I can get it down to two turns then I'm happy.

So if I understand correctly. You thread the body with 3 or 4 and do the same with the cap and just kill threads in the cap until you have the correct fit???? Thanks for the tip. I'll try it.
I would be curious to know more about how this "eyedropper" stuff works. You just fill the body of the pen with ink and seal the threads and you have a gravity feed to your nib??? What kind of grease do you use?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If you have to shorten your finial or drill it out after threading to allow the nib to fit up into it. I dont mind the long front section at all.

watch_art

Just get some 100% silicone plumbers grease and put a dab on the section threads. That will seal it. That's how I use my own pens. I don't have any of my own converters and I don't use carts at all. Just a barrel full. :)

For the cap - I might put 10 or 12 threads in the cap...
hold on - I'll draw a picture.

Top Bottom