3rd Cut Shell. Do You Like the Center Band??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from stevers

stevers

Hi All,
On this cut shell pen I used a piece of the shell to make the CB. I cut a couple of grooves in it to add some character. I also used a Euro finial and clip. What do you all think. Do you like the CB? The finial and clip is just what I had extra laying around. These are still experimental works. I am trying to use extra parts I have around so I don't have to brake into complete kits. Also, what do you think of the balance? I tried to size the upper and lower wood areas similar, as well as the brass sections.
Thanks for looking and please comment.

Attachments

• 3rd cut shell (1)600.JPG
    3rd cut shell (1)600.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 640
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

I like it Steve!:cool: Great balance and that CB looks real good. I never have cared for Euro finials on casing pens but, that's just me.
Since you have these cut casings down:wink:, why not try one where the casings are cut at an angle? Get back to me when you're done.:wink::wink::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

stevers

I'll get right on that Rick. :biggrin: I only used The euro clip out of convenience. That's a great idea to angle cut the shell. Maybe that'll be next.

Thanks Dorothy's husband Carl.

PaulDoug

I think you nailed that CB! I really like it. Here is a sample of one I have been thinking of. Msybe it has already been done. Butt of cartridge/streamline cb/butt of cartdidge. Maybe it would be too much. What you think?

Attachments

• CBSAMPLE.jpg
    CBSAMPLE.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 152

Sylvanite

That looks sharp, Steve. My own personal preference is to show a little more wood and a bit less brass. I cut the case head a little shorter and use a thinner centerband, but your treatment is handsome as well. The grooves tend to break up the centerband nicely.

Regards,
Eric

jttheclockman

Wow these are all great and you are giving me some good ideas. Hope you don't mind.

Eric

Curious how does your pen operate???

stevers

Thanks all. I appreciate the kind words. I think I have found a balance I like. I like to show a little more brass because the shell is the center of attention here.
I'm going to send one to my FIL so he will send me some casings and bullets. He hunts a lot, being in Oregon, so he has plenty to spare. The fellas at work told me, they don't reload their own ammo, the cost is prohibitive for them. So they could probably help me too.

avbill

I'm not a fan of casing pens. but the way you designed the balance of the pen gives it a distinctive look, blending metal and wood.

The large CB works as if it was a jewel-adornment.

It looks as if the pen feel warm and smooth to the touch. It has a handsome profile.

You have truly made a extraordinary pen A touch of outdoor with the touch of luxury !

Daniel

Very nice, and yes the center band works very well for me. one of those les is more type things. It is easy to do to much trying to get creative. nice job.
I like the angle cut idea as well. I also imagine this pen with a little less wood and more casing at the finial end. just some alternate ideas.

Texatdurango

Steve, I've never been a fan of these shell casing pens but I like what you have done and it's probably the way you did the centerband that made it appealing to me.

One thing that doesn't seem to fit though, is that domed cap and clip. But the c-band... nice!

foneman

real nice

Steve,
I really like the center band and the wood on both parts.

Question: Did you use your ER32 collets to hold the casing for the cutting and making the rings on the CB? I am trying to convince myself to order them and this might push me over the edge.

Great looking pen!!!
john

Darley

No. I'm talking about cutting the wood at the same angle as the brass and bringing it flush with the outside of the casing.

That a good idea but you should have a tenon to hold in the casing then a problem will occur, sanding the wood flash to the casing will be difficult IMHO you may scratch the casing.

BTW Steve nice pen I like too the CB not found of the finial but that can be change

MobilMan

What can I say positive that hasn't already been said. Real nice. You're getting way ahead. I look at it & there's just something I don't like about it. So I go back & look again & figured it out. It's in your hands, not mine.

stevers

Steve,
I really like the center band and the wood on both parts.

Question: Did you use your ER32 collets to hold the casing for the cutting and making the rings on the CB? I am trying to convince myself to order them and this might push me over the edge.

Great looking pen!!!
john

John, I used the ER32 collets for several parts of this job. Cutting the shell, drilling the shell and bullet, prepping the shell, many parts. If you are thinking about investing in a collet chuck package, I can say it's a great investment. Above and beyond, or in conjunction with a jaw chuck. They each do unique things. Personally, I love the collet chuck. And I will say, buy the best you can. I bought the Bealle chuck, and the collets from 800watt. An 18 piece set. The Bealle is a work of art.

What can I say positive that hasn't already been said. Real nice. You're getting way ahead. I look at it & there's just something I don't like about it. So I go back & look again & figured it out. It's in your hands, not mine.

Good one Richard. Some day Bud, some day.:eek::biggrin:

johncrane

Steve!
It's been so long since l last posted l feel like a new kid on the block,every think has changed here, also mate very nice job with your bullet pen the band and the tip look really good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom