3M Metal Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from apple320

apple320

I got this one off the lathe tonight so I thought I would throw her up.

IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

One of these days Chris your going to make one I don't like or want!:wink: On second thought I don't think you can:biggrin:

apple320

Beautiful, as always, Chris.

Would you mind telling me/us what thread and pitch you use for your caps? If it's proprietary, no worries.

Thank you very much Good to hear from you

I still remember the first time I seen one of your pens a blue cracked ice I think and it got me started on this slippery slope.

This one was a M13 x1 thread

Chris

Fibonacci

How does the m3 take and hold a thread? Does it feel like it could handle getting turned pretty thin? I am thinking about a custom cap with a thin wall.

apple320

How does the m3 take and hold a thread? Does it feel like it could handle getting turned pretty thin? I am thinking about a custom cap with a thin wall.

My gut tells me that a thin wall will not stand up very good because it seems so soft not like acrylic but I am not sure. I know most of the pens I have seen out of this material have been kit pens with a brass tube glued inside that would make it stronger but I guess time will tell. It takes threads very very easy so this is why I am thinking it might not be too strong. Again just my gut feeling but it has screwed me up before, (like when I thought raising kids can't be to hard) lol boy was it wrong then.
If anyone has any input on this I would love to hear it.

Thanks

Chris

gwilki

Tks much, Chris. I really like the look of the short thread.

If it was really me that started you on this slope, you've sure slid a lot further than I've been able to.

apple320

Tks much, Chris. I really like the look of the short thread.

If it was really me that started you on this slope, you've sure slid a lot further than I've been able to.

It was a blue cracked ice with a matching section and I could for the life of me not get my mind around how you did the hole for the nib. You then told me there was more than one way to skin a cat and that you turned down the section and glued a sleeve and turned it down.

So when my wife talks about all the pen making equipment I lay it all at your feet my friend lol

Cheers

gwilki

I had forgotten that pen, Chris. I'm happy to take the blame for your expenditures. After all, Brampton to Ottawa is farther than your wife can throw something at me.

cnirenberg

Chris,
I love it. Man, your pictures really get down to the nitty gritty and show that sucker off. Awesome looking pen. How did you like turning the M3, is it different than your standard acrylic work?

apple320

Chris,
I love it. Man, your pictures really get down to the nitty gritty and show that sucker off. Awesome looking pen. How did you like turning the M3, is it different than your standard acrylic work?

Thank you

Not sure if I like this material or not yet. To me it was like working with a block of body filler from the body shop. Same smell and softness. So my fear is how well will it hold up over the long run. It seems so much softer than the acrylics while I was working it.

But like I said time will be the true test.

Chris

Top Bottom