3D printed Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BeeAMaker

BeeAMaker

These aren't nearly as nice as a wood or Acrylic pen, but they did spark some interest during our meeting last night. It only took me about an hour and a Half from design to finish to do 2 pens. The first one was a fluted design and the second was a more sleek Hex design. The camera picked up the layers surprisingly well. Each printed with PLA plastic at 0.2mm layer height. Only taking about 10min per piece. After gluing in the tube with CA I then put them on the lathe to smooth the ends to the bushings, so I guess I can say I turned them lol. A resin printer would do a much cleaner job on something of this diameter, but really not to bad for a FDM type.

If nothing else they are a great conversational piece, people are just in awe that I 3D printed a Pen. I tell them the Ink was the hardest part to print as it kept running out of the extruder :bye:

Pen_14a.jpg

Pen_14c.jpg

Pen_15a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Very cool! Any chance you'd be willing to share the .stl file(s)? I'd love to print a pen to show to our students and teachers here at school.

Regards,
Michael

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Very cool, a resin printer could print it without the grow lines but it would take hours, lots and lots of hours to grow it vertically. If you grew it horizontaly it would have to have the support nubs cleaned off and wouldnt look as nice.

BeeAMaker

Very cool! Any chance you'd be willing to share the .stl file(s)? I'd love to print a pen to show to our students and teachers here at school.

Regards,
Michael

Sure, I put them on Repables for downloading (along with a couple others I didn't make into a pen)
Slimeline Pen, 3D printer style - Repables

My printer is within 0.2mm on the scale so if yours is off more or less it may be to snug or not snug enough. Just scale it up or down to get a good fit on the 7mm tube.

I still squared these after gluing the tubs in, but be careful not to take too much off. Carbide at high speed works good in PLA (surprisingly) to get the ends smooth to the bushings. Also note you will need really good cooling to print at this small diameter. If you don't already have one, I recommend Berd-Air.

Last edited:

Curly

I was in town today and while driving along saw a storefront that said 3D Printing and coffee so I looked it up when I got home. I'm not at all interested in the bean but see the place as a way to make parts for lost wax casting. Are places like this appearing in other cities?

CreateCafe 3D Printing - Home

BeeAMaker

I was in town today and while driving along saw a storefront that said 3D Printing and coffee so I looked it up when I got home. I'm not at all interested in the bean but see the place as a way to make parts for lost wax casting. Are places like this appearing in other cities?

CreateCafe 3D Printing - Home

Yep, there success is sketchy, some make it some don't. But all of them are over priced.

Most libraries now also have printers that the public can use, some for just the price of the material used. However you have to deal with a "public" printer.

Top Bottom