3d printed pen blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rachgard

Rachgard

Here's a pen that I made from a blank I designed and 3d printed. I ended up really liking this stained-glass / triangle look. I printed it in "silver" PLA and it surprisingly shined up pretty well. The kit that I used was pretty terrible, but I did this as a concept pen to see if the blank was going to work out. Let me know what you guys think!

Facetune_28-04-2018-17-23-46.jpgFacetune_28-04-2018-17-24-27.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Great job on the pen!...both creating the blanks and turning/ finishing them.

I am not up to speed with much of the 3D printing process so I do have some questions. Did you print a solid blank and drill or build the blank in the tube?
Also, did you use different plastics to achieve the coloring or did you color the blanks after they were printed?
This is very unique and I do like what you have achieved!

Rachgard

I am not up to speed with much of the 3D printing process so I do have some questions. Did you print a solid blank and drill or build the blank in the tube?

Also, did you use different plastics to achieve the coloring or did you color the blanks after they were printed?

IMG_0231.JPG

I printed an empty blank that was just going to be the design. Although I printed them so they would be self contained, I taped it off because I wasn't sure if it would leak, sometimes there are tiny holes in it you can't see. Then I did an alumilite pour of rose pink, reflex violet, duo red blue, and flamingo pink. I didn't really pay attention to the pour. Put it in the pressure pot, then I cut and drilled like you would with any pen. Because of the nature of the design, I wasn't worried about being super straight or lined up. It turns and polishes just like a regular acrylic blank.

MRDucks2

I find it interesting that you printed the mold as well as the design. What are the economics on the printed item? Not counting the printer itself is it a 3 cent piece, a 30 cent piece or a $3 piece, for instance.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

robutacion

I printed an empty blank that was just going to be the design. Although I printed them so they would be self contained, I taped it off because I wasn't sure if it would leak, sometimes there are tiny holes in it you can't see. Then I did an alumilite pour of rose pink, reflex violet, duo red blue, and flamingo pink. I didn't really pay attention to the pour. Put it in the pressure pot, then I cut and drilled like you would with any pen. Because of the nature of the design, I wasn't worried about being super straight or lined up. It turns and polishes just like a regular acrylic blank.

OK so, you printed the mold but not the blank itself, you poured a number of Alumilite colours into the mold like any other castings and that is quite different than actually printing the tubes and that would be something that would be intrigued about, nevertheless, creating casting molds on 3D printing is a great idea, congrats.

Cheers
George

Charlie_W

Thanks for the pic and explanation of the process. That clears it up for me....and still a cool technique!
Should you see a difference in the finish with plastic and Alumilite, you could add a CA finish.

Rachgard

Rachel; I have an i3 3D printer but still a noob there. Do you have a two extruder printer or did you print these as two separate objects?

It's just a single object that's all together. If you want, pm me offline and I can send you the stl files.

PMBROTH.NY

Rachgard

Gary Beasley

Can you also print a solid color fill in the divisions? That technique looks like a good way to do a true radial pattern like wrap around honeycomb or brick wall once the programming is right. May not be that hard to do the hole down the middle to ensure centering on the tube.

vtgaryw

Someone in one of the Pen Groups on Facebook did a radial honeycomb, I think with the center like you said.

Gary

jkeith

I think its awesome! Great job on the print and the pen! I could never get silver to look as good as yours does. Keep at it!

jkeith

Can you also print a solid color fill in the divisions? That technique looks like a good way to do a true radial pattern like wrap around honeycomb or brick wall once the programming is right. May not be that hard to do the hole down the middle to ensure centering on the tube.

You can fill in the gaps or divisions with the printer but due to the way the printers work, they are not truly 100% filled or solid. If you try to fill in too much with just the print you will either have resin seep into the voids when you cast it or when turning you will have open voids from all the unfilled portions.

As for a true radial pattern I made a post on IAP recently with my 360° honeycomb design but I don't want to hijack her post. You can PM me if your interested.

Gary Beasley

Thanks jkeith, I find the process interesting but have no plans at this point to get into getting a 3d printer, too many irons in the fire! I look forward to your next project.

KDM

Great looking pen. Great concept. Have you varnished it? Reason I ask is that PLA is biodegradable, particularly when exposed to body tissue they use it for self-dissolving screws when you break a bone, for example.

Did any of the PLA dissolve in the alumlite?

I'm going to try something similar with ABS and PR. I suspect that the ABS will dissolve (since they are both soluble in acetone).

Top Bottom