3D print & resin pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jkeith

jkeith

I have been playing around with the 3D print/resin casting ideas, thought I would give this design a go and see what happened. This was my first Tiny Giant, and I was sure exactly what to expect but it ended up looking fairly decent. My wife had the good camera for the night so I was forced to use my cell phone. The pics are not up to par but I couldn't resist posting the results. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• iap1.jpg
    iap1.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 373
  • iap2.jpg
    iap2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 267
  • iap3.jpg
    iap3.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 290
  • iap4.jpg
    iap4.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 295
  • iap5.jpg
    iap5.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 250
  • iap6.jpg
    iap6.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 244
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Waisted Casting!

Cool looking pen but one huge mistake!

Should have saved it for entry into the "Freestyle Casting Contest" in next month's

"Birthday BASH"

jkeith

Joey, that is so cool. I have a 3d printer too and have been looking into printing blanks. I printed one but still need to fill it to turn it. I'll post a picture here in a day or two if you want.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

I have a few pretty crazy designs I need to try. There are so many options and patterns that can be made. It's all exciting and fun. Please post anything you make. I draw a lot of my own ideas from seeing others works.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That turned out pretty nicely. Very clever. The possibilities seem endless with these printers. Perhaps you could print sides to your design and it would become it's own mold too, thst would simply just turn off.

BeeAMaker

Nice job!

I assume that is PLA? how well does the resin bond to it? Looks like it bonded fairly well.

I have found that PLA will turn and polish surprising well - however it is easy to over heat and warp.

Here is one I printed last year, I like the idea of combination with the resin.
Pen_14a.jpg

jkeith

Yes, this was PLA and I used Alumilite Clear. I casted it last Sunday and left it in my "hotbox" all week at temps around 80-90 degrees so it was sure to cure fully. It bonded extremely well and I had zero issues turning it. I used my square carbide on a 30-45 degree angle took it pretty slowly just to be safe. The hardest part was getting everything square to drill the hole in the center as best as possible. I still didn't get this one perfect even though I spent a long time making sure everything was a close as possible. Nobody else I have shown it to has noticed though... you are always your own worst critic.

Bikerdad

Yes, this was PLA and I used Alumilite Clear. I casted it last Sunday and left it in my "hotbox" all week at temps around 80-90 degrees so it was sure to cure fully. It bonded extremely well and I had zero issues turning it. I used my square carbide on a 30-45 degree angle took it pretty slowly just to be safe. The hardest part was getting everything square to drill the hole in the center as best as possible. I still didn't get this one perfect even though I spent a long time making sure everything was a close as possible. Nobody else I have shown it to has noticed though... you are always your own worst critic.

To simplify the process of squaring it up for drilling, just add centering dimples for the drill to register against to the 3d print.

jkeith

To simplify the process of squaring it up for drilling, just add centering dimples for the drill to register against to the 3d print.

It was more so the fact that the print wasn't square inside the mold and came out crooked inside the resin when I casted it. I had to make sure when I drilled the blank that the print was straight and not the blank

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom