360 degree honeycomb

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jkeith

jkeith

I have been playing around with my 3D printer for quite some time on this project. Had some troubles with getting the holes centered properly and decided I need to cast with the tube in. Lots of trial and error with it but after a few months I finally have it looking like I want. My first efforts were on a Sierra, this weekend I modified the pattern to a JR. Please let me know what you think.

Attachments

• sierrahc.jpg
    sierrahc.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 340
  • jrhc2.jpg
    jrhc2.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 315
  • jrhc4.jpg
    jrhc4.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 271
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Looks great !!! . Sure gets around the major problem with honeycomb !!

BTW ... that Sierra ... doesn't quite look the part. . Seems that the clip is from a Cigar.

Would that be right ? . Which sub-species of Sierra is it, please ?

jkeith

BTW ... that Sierra ... doesn't quite look the part. . Seems that the clip is from a Cigar.

The two wonky sides was my biggest issue with regular honeycomb, my OCD just couldn't handle it. The kit is a TM Ares from turnerswarehouse. By far my favorite Sierra clone!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jkeith

That is brand new! Combining 3d printed structure with cast material.

I wonder if you could print a design like a name and then cast it into resin?

I am definitely not the first person to do this. There are several people doing 3-D print in casting currently. As far as I know I'm the first one to have a 360° design. The possibilities are endless. you can pretty much make any design you want and embed it in resin. Just need some knowledge in the 3-D modeling software which luckily I have

Kenny Durrant

Very Nice! I've been looking at the honeycomb blanks/pens and like the way they look. I'm also a little disappointed in the sides the way the pattern distorts. Great job on figuring out how to correct the issue.

jkeith

Very Nice! I've been looking at the honeycomb blanks/pens and like the way they look. I'm also a little disappointed in the sides the way the pattern distorts. Great job on figuring out how to correct the issue.

Some look really cool but it always just bugged me about the sides. I knew how to fix it but actually making it work was tough. This opened up a ton of other designs that I can do and have done. Several have already been made and tested but that will be another post!

Rachgard

What program are you using to create these?
Also, how do you make it so that there are not huge voids in the center? I've been messing around with it but can't seem to get it so that there isn't a huge center void. Would you be willing to share a stl file or maybe talk to me offline about a how to? I've been doing designs in Autodesk for a Robo 3d r2.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Great effort to get the 360. I fully agree with trying to make all sides look appealing, that is why I like doing segmented blanks with the patterns on more than two sides.

Nice job.

Thanks for sharing.

vtgaryw

I don't think most of us would be successful pen turners if we didn't have OCD!

-gary

The two wonky sides was my biggest issue with regular honeycomb, my OCD just couldn't handle it. The kit is a TM Ares from turnerswarehouse. By far my favorite Sierra clone!

jkeith

Also, how do you make it so that there are not huge voids in the center? I've been messing around with it but can't seem to get it so that there isn't a huge center void. Would you be willing to share a stl file or maybe talk to me offline about a how to? I've been doing designs in Autodesk for a Robo 3d r2.

I use Fusion to design all my prints. As for sharing the file or helping out, I will be glad to help you out where I can but please understand that I am selling these blanks and I won't be posting the STL or giving up any "secrets" on how I make or cast these at this time.

Rachgard

I use Fusion to design all my prints. As for sharing the file or helping out, I will be glad to help you out where I can but please understand that I am selling these blanks and I won't be posting the STL or giving up any "secrets" on how I make or cast these at this time.

Ah. Ok.

Top Bottom