.308 Winchester Bullet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rd_ab_penman

rd_ab_penman

Rifle Cartridge Ballpoint with .308 Brass Barrel and .308 Brass Cap with Gold Winchester Rifle Clip.
Modified with a shortened Cross refill.

308brasswinchesterwithg.jpg

Rifle Cartridge Ballpoint with .308 Nickel Barrel and .308 Nickel Cap with Chrome Winchester Rifle Clip.
Modified with a shortened Cross refill.

308nickelwinchesterwith.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

I'm curious as to why you shortened the refill. I've never done this for .308 pens. My concern would be that the customer would not be able to easily replace the refill.

Sylvanite

I'm curious as to why you shortened the refill. I've never done this for .308 pens. My concern would be that the customer would not be able to easily replace the refill.
The lower barrel of a slimline pen (including nib) measures around 2.835 inches long. The OAL (overall length) of a 308 Winchester cartridge can range from 2.510 to 2.875 inches, depending on the bullet used. I typically make mine 2.750. To my eye (which may be mistaken), Les' looks a little shorter.

That is, a 308 rifle cartridge is typically shorter (around 3/32") than a regular slimline lower barrel. You need to recover that length somewhere. You can seat the bullet longer, shorten the lower tube, shorten/recess the upper tube, or shorten the refill. I generally recess the upper tube; Les chose to shorten the refill.

Oh, and by the way - nice pens Les.

Regards,
Eric

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon
I generally recess the upper tube; Les chose to shorten the refill.

I tried a teachers pen center tube on the upper barrel.. worked out well. (2-3/16" in length compared to 2-1/32" for slimline tubes) I am mixed between using teacher pen for upper tubes or recessing them. I did a shortened pen refill once, but ended up filing it away in spare parts due to the fact the customers would have issues replacing them and could be bad for future sales due to word of mouth..

Very nice pens les, I can imagine they have a nice feel with the weight.. I currently use a BOW slimline as my personal pen, and after using a bullet pen this morning to check a few inventory things, I am thinking about switching to a bullet pen for my own use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom