308 Win - exploded view

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sylvanite

Sylvanite

This pen was my entry to the 2010 "casing" challenge. I call it "Ignition".

Ignition1_x750.jpg

Ignition2_x750.jpg

Ignition3_x750.jpg

The nib and finial are a segmented 308 Winchester nickel-plated shellcase with a solid copper bullet. The blank is made from two pieces of acrylic rod (one blue, one red and white) and gunpowder encapsulated in a thick built-up CA coating. The clip extends from a slot cut in finial section. I used a fired (and dimpled) primer cup, which seemed asthetically appropriate this time.

This is sort of a "frankenkit" pen. I modified the mechanism from a cigar pen kit to take 8mm tubes. The parker-style refill extends with a twist of the bullet (which unscrews as well). Other parts came from a CSUSA click pen kit, a Perfect-Fit kit, and a slimline kit.

The design is meant to portray the interior of a rifle cartridge at the moment it is fired. The blue spark at the case head represents the jet of flame from the primer. The red and white flames of burning powder extend into the unignited portion. As you can see from the photos, the spark and flame patterns vary as they wrap around the pen. The specks in the black section are reflections off the embedded grains of gunpowder.

This was an interesting pen to make. I hope you like it.

Regards,
Eric

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Wow Eric that incredible! Even before I read the description I realized what I was looking at. I'm not the sharpest knife and all that stuff ...so if I got it your meaning is very well conveyed. Excellent work, beautiful pen!

RyanNJ

the blank and craftsmanship are amazing.
I really like the pen stand if you sell them let me know or if you wish to share how to make one the would be ok as well (PM)

Sylvanite

I really like the pen stand if you sell them let me know or if you wish to share how to make one the would be ok as well (PM)
Well, that's really just an offcut from the end of the acrylic blank (see photo). I only used it as a stand because I didn't have anything better laying around.

If you're interested in a much nicer small stand to prop up a pen, check out http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64022.

Regards,
Eric

Attachments

• cutoffs.jpg
    cutoffs.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 177

PaulDoug

WOW! Very well thought out and crafted pen. There are things about it I didn't even notice until I read your description, i.e., the inserted clip and the spent primer. Awesome job. Even the stand.

Top Bottom