308 Casing Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

Hello all,

I just finished this .308 casing pen. I am getting a little better, and like the centerband design of this one too. Red Mallee burl top.

redmalle308.jpg

Cheers,

James

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elody21

Really nice!!!!!!!!! did anyone ever take the jeweler up on the 50-500 casing pens?

Fangar

Originally posted by elody21
<br />Really nice!!!!!!!!! did anyone ever take the jeweler up on the 50-500 casing pens?

Thanks.

I am not sure if anyone ever bit into that. That was a very big committment. Especially "50-500". Talk about a big range.

P.S. This one sold too, and I have order for my next 2 300 win mags.

Cheers,

James

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Fangar
This one is neat too,but...
The brass on the top is takig away from the wood.
It sems to me you made the bullet statement in the lower section.
The double center band"ring" adds class and craftsmanship, I just prefer a shorter line of the brass on top.Opps, you didn't ask for critiques, disregard the above statement.
NPGJ!.

GregD

Well now that Eagle mentioned it, 2 of the 3 I made I used a wood finel instead of the brass. It does add a different look to the pen.

elody21

James do you put anything on the casing to prevent any discoloration? Is it necessary? I just made my first one for my brother-in-law and was wondering what else should be done to it? Thanks Alice

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by GregD
<br />Well now that Eagle mentioned it, 2 of the 3 I made I used a wood finel instead of the brass. It does add a different look to the pen.
I was referring to the section above the CB not hte finial.
Compare this one to the first one he made for the friend that retired, you'll see the difference.
I have experimented with a lot of configuratioins short of TimD's diagonal cut ones.They have a great look but not what I am after,.

Fangar

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />Fangar
This one is neat too,but...
The brass on the top is takig away from the wood.
It sems to me you made the bullet statement in the lower section.
The double center band"ring" adds class and craftsmanship, I just prefer a shorter line of the brass on top.Opps, you didn't ask for critiques, disregard the above statement.
NPGJ!.

Anytime I post, I always appreciate critiques. I see your point.

I find though, that the .308 casings tend to make the pen too short without a centerband. If I lengthen the wood portion, of the top barrel to compensate, it (The wooden portion) looks too long to my eye. I haven't come up with too many centerband combos as of yet, but I like this one best so far. The 300 win mags are easier, as the casings are much longer than the .308. So the top barrel can be regular length. Personally, I prefer the 300 win mag, but for some reason the guys that order from me like the 308's. Go figure.

Thanks for taking the time to add your opinions.

James

Fangar

<br />James do you put anything on the casing to prevent any discoloration? Is it necessary? I just made my first one for my brother-in-law and was wondering what else should be done to it? Thanks Alice

Alice. The brass tarnishes very quickly. I don't put anything on them as of yet. Personally, I like the antiqued look it gives. A clear coat of some type would be required to maintain that. I would look into some sort of clear coat lacquer, or possibly a powdercoat. So far the guys I have sold them to all prefer the tarnished look, which is good for me I guess. It seems more like a buller that way I guess.

James

Fangar

Originally posted by Fangar
<br />
<br />James do you put anything on the casing to prevent any discoloration? Is it necessary? I just made my first one for my brother-in-law and was wondering what else should be done to it? Thanks Alice

Alice. The brass tarnishes very quickly. I don't put anything on them as of yet. Personally, I like the antiqued look it gives. A clear coat of some type would be required to maintain that. I would look into some sort of clear coat lacquer, or possibly a powdercoat. So far the guys I have sold them to all prefer the tarnished look, which is good for me I guess. It seems more like a bullet that way I guess.

James

GregD

Alice,
One the ones I have made I use DEFT spray Laquer. I use 400 grit up to 12000MM before I spray, then lightly MM to 12000 after spraying.

elody21

Originally posted by GregD
<br />

Alice,
One the ones I have made I use DEFT spray Laquer. I use 400 grit up to 12000MM before I spray, then lightly MM to 12000 after spraying.
Thanks!,Alice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom