300 Year old long leaf yellow pine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from G1Pens

G1Pens

This is a longwood done in Antique Long Leaf Yellow Pine. The wood was reclaimed from a victorian home built in Southern GA in the late 1800's. Longleaf Yellow Pine reaches maturity at around 150-200 years of age, so its a pretty safe bet that this wood was around during the Revolutionary War.

I had a heck of a time getting a finish on this wood. After three attempts with CA I gave up and switched to Wipe On Poly. I lost a little of the shape in the continual resanding, but it still looks pretty good. First time using WOP. It turned out well, but I don't really have the patience to use it. I need quicker gratification.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• IMG_5911a-web.jpg
    IMG_5911a-web.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 335
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

That is one nice looking pen you got there. You did good and glad you didn't give up on getting a nice finish on there.

GColeman

Super nice.

I have some wood like that that came from my grandparents house remodel. I had planned on a CA finish. I guess I need to rethink that. Reckon it's the pitch that fouls the finish?

ctubbs

Air dried pine still has the pitch available where as kiln drying fixes it so it does not move as much. Old air dried pine will still get your hands sticky from the pine tar seeping out. Handle today's pine framing material and your hands stay pretty clean, grab some old material and by the end of the day, you will stick to everything you touch.
Charles

G1Pens

Air dried pine still has the pitch available where as kiln drying fixes it so it does not move as much. Old air dried pine will still get your hands sticky from the pine tar seeping out. Handle today's pine framing material and your hands stay pretty clean, grab some old material and by the end of the day, you will stick to everything you touch.
Charles

Thanks for that info Charles. I was kinda wondering why wood that old was still so "sticky". Now I know.

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
I also have some old tobacco sticks that are made of heart pine, can't wait to see what they will do after a turn or two.

Lee K

I guess it depends on the wood. I have done 2 pens w/ CA fnish on that antique heart pine I have (about the same age as yours) and it worked fine ...

That is some beautiful wood though, aint it ??? And it smells good turning, even after 125 years cooped up in a house.

Top Bottom