30 Pieces of Silver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from leehljp

D.Oliver

What is this, a two year anniversary thread revival?!?!?
That IS a nice pen though!

LOL, i know, i thought, where did this come from, then i saw the date! UNBELIEVABLE CRAFTSMANSHIP!!! I really enjoy when people did up old threads and repost. It helps to re-inspire! :biggrin:

The whole time I was reading this thread I was wondering how I missed it last week. It wasn't until I got to the end and seen your comments that I realized it was from October 2008! Wow, what a beautiful pen! Its like one of those Disney movies..."It's been digitally remastered and re-released for a short time. Get a good look now, because at the end of the week it goes back into the vault".

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Another I admire!

I have flagged this as one I would like to try! My skill set is close...

Enjoy! (Hank - Join in!).
EDIT: YES, an older post, but worth the view!

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
It is nice to bring up and feature samples of truly excellent work by members of IAP from days long since past. This was first posted in 2008, about a year prior to my joining the family. Do others here miss Hank?

He was active before my time also, but yes, I would love for some of these folks to comment, critique and poke us to do better! But... we can continue on the path they paved for us!!! This pen I will attempt this summer, with a few variations!

papaturner

I remember Hank posting this pen and yes even today it is still stands out.
Hank if I recall was a missionary in Japan at the time he posted 30 pieces of silver. A gentleman from the word go. Always kind and helpful.
Not really sure where he ended up on his return to the States.
If you are out there Hank join in with us again. Love to hear from you.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I remember Hank posting this pen and yes even today it is still stands out.
Hank if I recall was a missionary in Japan at the time he posted 30 pieces of silver. A gentleman from the word go. Always kind and helpful.
Not really sure where he ended up on his return to the States.
If you are out there Hank join in with us again. Love to hear from you.

Shoot Perry, you REMEMBER this post! I'm happy if I remember yesterday's dinner (Uhmnnn.. never mind..).

If I was impolite I would comment on your apparent "elderly status on IAP", but why point that out! :wink:

This is a nice pen design to try to work with. For a future post this summer!

jttheclockman

I do remember this pen. In fact it got me into thinking about segmenting with dots. I will be watching for your creation. I too am on a mission to take some of the older pens and give them a try and maybe do things my way but keep the concept there. I have a few bookmarked. Good luck.

I love looking back at some of these older posts and remembering some of the characters we had here. Hank was a real great guy.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Bill in Buena Park alerted me to this thread.

I have been absent for the most part since being back in the States (since 2011) due to work. I usually log onto a woodworking forum usually every other day for a few minutes. But just over a month ago we had 14 to 15 inches of rain in the area (NW Mississippi) and numerous houses flooded and I have been working with Disaster Relief crews since then.

A couple of Disaster Relief workers asked me about that specific pen that I carry around with me (on occasion). I would love to get started back into pen turning, and for this pen in particular. It has special meaning to me.

One reason that I have not started pen turning since getting back from Japan is that I haven't completed my Dust Collection in my small shop. I have severe allergies to CA fumes. I do mean severe. I need both a DC system and I do have some very good chemical masks. I can work around mold with little reaction but CA fumes bring flu like symptoms and sometimes double vision.

I appreciate your comments. Thank you!

Last edited:

papaturner

Bill in Buena Park alerted me to this thread. Thanks Bill.

I have been absent for the most part since being back in the States (since 2011) due to work. I usually log onto a woodworking forum usually every other day for a few minutes. But just over a month ago we had 14 to 15 inches of rain in the area (NW Mississippi) and numerous houses flooded and I have been working with Disaster Relief crews since then.

A couple of Disaster Relief workers asked me about that specific pen that I carry around with me (on occasion). I would love to get started back into pen turning, and for this pen in particular. It has special meaning to me.

One reason that I have not started pen turning since getting back from Japan is that I haven't completed my Dust Collection in my small shop. I have severe allergies to CA fumes. I do mean severe. I need both a DC system and I do have some very good chemical masks. I can work around mold with little reaction but CA fumes bring flu like symptoms and sometimes double vision.

I appreciate your comments. Thank you!

Good to hear from you Bro. Hank. I hope all is well and look forward to you posting pens again.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Hank:

You are an IAP member that I have read comments from as I browse the threads from "Yesterday." As a "newer" member to IAP, it would be wonderful to read your comments on current matters, as you have the benefit of "experience" (I'm trying to be polite to an IAP Elder!!! NOTE: years contributing... Not necessarily age! :)) Whenever you see fit, until you have your shop/dust collection issues in place, we would be better for your presence!

Best Regards, Mark

pianomanpj

I remember when Hank first posted this pen; it's just as beautiful now. Mark, I've seen (and now own!) some of your segmenting work - I KNOW you have the skills to execute this blank, and I can't wait to see your finished pen!

jttheclockman

Hello Hank.

A blast from the past. Great to hear that you still check in now and then and that you are back in the states safe and sound. Hopefully you get back into creating more fantastic pens. Also hope to read some of your stories when you get a chance. Things are still kicking here. getting many new members as I mentioned in Marks post it is always good to go back and read some of the older posts and see the names that came through here. Anyway be good and hopefully we see more from you. :)

Top Bottom