30 Pieces of Silver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from leehljp

philb

Thats a great effort, especially on such a short barreled pen!

Where did you get the kit from? As the only elegant beauty's ive seen have a emblem on the end of the top section, above the clip and have a different centre band?

PHIL

papaturner

That has to be the best elegant beauty that I have seen,absolutely awesome. Photos are wonderful also. Judas would really sell out for that one.:)btw Thanks for your work in Japan.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Where did you get the kit from? As the only elegant beauty's ive seen have a emblem on the end of the top section, above the clip and have a different centre band?
PHIL

This kit came from Bereahardwoods.com

Are you worried that the brass or solde will tarnish?
-Steve

I'm watching that. I have made several brass segments over a couple of years. So far none of the brass has tarnished. With several coats of medium CA and sandwiched between the wood segments with epoxy, they have held up fine so far.

GoodTurns

every time I think I'm getting good at this someone has to go and raise the bar! cut me some slack here! I have a partially finished "spotted" blank using tiny brass rods run through the blank....I can only hope it looks anywhere near as nice!

Gorgeous pen!

Skye

Very nice. I think if you were able to get a consistent pattern to the solder rods it would have been perfect.

Really like the brass plates in there, matches the kit well.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Very nice. I think if you were able to get a consistent pattern to the solder rods it would have been perfect.

Really like the brass plates in there, matches the kit well.

Skye,

The 30 pieces of sliver were thrown on the ground and landed at random. Order is for stars on a flag and such. Random was intentional. I don't want to rewrite Bible history.

However, I do appreciate your comment as it made me realize that not everyone is familiar with this bit of Bible history. I apologize for the forgetting of people like yourself who would not know this. My bad! Ministers make terrible assumptions at times! Thanks for reminding me. As Ann Landers used to say: give me 20 lashes with a wet noodle! :)

Last edited:

chriselle

Skye,

The 30 pieces of sliver were thrown on the ground and landed at random. Order is for stars on a flag and such. Random was intentional. I don't want to rewrite Bible history.

However, I do appreciate your comment as it made me realize that not everyone is familiar with this bit of Bible history. I apologize for the forgetting of people like yourself who would not know this. My bad! Ministers make terrible assumptions at times! Thanks for reminding me. As Ann Landers used to say: give me 20 lashes with a wet noodle! :)

Ah....THAT 30 pieces of silver....I get it now! :wink::biggrin:

Kidding of course..my friend!:tongue:

jedgerton

All I can say is Wow!

Hank,

Those are fantastic. I love the symbolism as well! Now I have a new goal (as if I ever achieved the old goal)!

John

Skye

I do appreciate your comment as it made me realize that not everyone is familiar with this bit of Bible history. I apologize for the forgetting of people like yourself who would not know this.

Well, not only biblical scholars know bible stories. I'm not quite how you came to categorize myself as one who "would not know of this" as I attend every Sunday as well as teach the 'Mission Friends' every Wednesday night with my wife and my Father In Law is a pastor. So, I spend enough time in church to be familiar with the story of the crucifixion.

If you're talking about Judas tossing the coins before hanging himself, I hardly think you're rewriting the Bible by putting the 'coins' in order. If you're that worried about 'rewriting', then I'd suggest not using lead to take the place of what was probably shekels made of silver.

I think your main error you should be apologizing for is assuming to know who knows what. Just take the suggestion as what it was.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I think your main error you should be apologizing for is assuming to know who knows what. Just take the suggestion as what it was.

I never wrote that I used "Lead". That was just an assumption that many people make when they think of solder.

I do appreciate your suggestion, but random is random and it was intentional. If I wanted orderly, it would have been orderly. Perhaps you can do the orderly one. That would be great! You do great work and it would certainly challenge us all to higher standards. I was wrong to assume that you were not a church goer, so I apologize publicly for that. I wrongly thought that way because of your original statement of making "orderly" that which is obviously random in the story. I now apologize for assuming that you would know that as a church goer.

When I made the pens in the photo, I used what solder I had on hand that I used in electronics. I also knew that it was a combination of content for electronics use. The tube was small and only had the mfg number of 55 - S, which I just found out meant 55% silver. Most people who construct electronics with solder do not use pure lead or acid, so while I did not know the amount of silver content, I knew that it had silver in it. I just was not going to make statements that I was not 100% sure of. I should have chased it down before writing it up.

Last edited:

nava1uni

Wow!!! A truly beautiful piece of craftsmanship. I would be willing to try the pens out for you to make sure that they work properly. I can send you my address if you need it.

G1Pens

Absolutely beautiful pen. They symbolism of the design and woods used are perfect. I don't think this could have been done any better. One of the most impressive works I have seen on here in a while.

seamus7227

What is this, a two year anniversary thread revival?!?!?
That IS a nice pen though!

LOL, i know, i thought, where did this come from, then i saw the date! UNBELIEVABLE CRAFTSMANSHIP!!! I really enjoy when people did up old threads and repost. It helps to re-inspire! :biggrin:

IPD_Mr

Glad to see this revived. Lee is an excellent craftsman and did a heck of a lot with little to no space when he lived in Japan. This is some good inspiration for a lot of folks.

Top Bottom