30-06 modified Cigars (pic added)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sylvanite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvanite

About a week ago, Firefyter-emt suggested making a cartridge pen with a bullet nib based on a Cigar kit. I claimed it was doable, so I decided to go ahead and make one.
20071120234822_30-06Cigar.jpg

30-06 cartridge and kingwood using a cigar kit (with a few changes).

<edit 11/21>
Well, since nobody (myself included) seems to care much for the shape of the above pen, I went ahead and made another - sans centerband. This makes for a slimmer cigar, or dare I say "slimgar":
20071121154445_30-06Slimgar.jpg

30-06 cartridge and louro preto using a cigar kit (with a few more changes).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

You did a nice job with it, but to me it looks unbalanced. I think the 30-06 casing is too small for a cigar. I've seen other casing pens made on a cigar but the casing was larger.

Sylvanite

Yes, the step-down in diameter is too much for my taste as well. I think it would look better with a larger diameter case than 30-06 - say 300 WinMag, or 338 Winchester. Or, as you say, I could omit the kit centerband altogether and go for a slimmer pen.

Hmmm... interesting idea.

Firefyter-emt

I have to agree, drop the centerband, turn it slimmer and I think the "manly" cap design of the cigar works much better than the slimline does. Along the same theme would be the Americana style twist pen. Anything to give you more room to keep the cap larger than the slimline will allow you to.

Nice job though, I bet the parker works much better!

Sylvanite

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />I think the "manly" cap design of the cigar works much better than the slimline does. Along the same theme would be the Americana style twist pen. Anything to give you more room to keep the cap larger than the slimline will allow you to.
I agree. The slimline finial is too small for a cartridge pen.
tn_Nickel3006Antler_6x4.jpg

I've had better success with an Americana type flat top:
tn_PerfectFit30-06.jpg

I'll play with the cigar pen a little more, but I don't think its finial is as manly as the one on the "End-to-End 30-06 Pen"
tn_Split30-06Pen.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom