30-06/ Deer Antler / Euro style pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from seamus7227

seamus7227

woodworks 020.jpgWhat a challenge this was!!

30-06 rifle shell antler Euro twist gold.JPGNotice the red line where the antler meets the shell, that is the shed line. This antler was retrieved from a 4 point roadkill, authorized by the Texas State Game Warden. I also changed out the round clip end with a matching piece of the antler. I would love everyone's feedback.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dale

I purchased some antlers online to make a couple of pens with. They was while all the way thru. They came out of the Northwest and was off of a Mule deer.
My father in law which lives here in Missouri brought me a couple of young white tail deer set of antlers. When I made a pen out of one of those it had alot of red tint in it.. had several people ask what is that??
they was young and that is probably what made it so red looking.

Im not an expert on deer antlers but I know they can stink pretty bad when you are turning them.

dale

bitshird

I purchased some antlers online to make a couple of pens with. They was while all the way thru. They came out of the Northwest and was off of a Mule deer.
My father in law which lives here in Missouri brought me a couple of young white tail deer set of antlers. When I made a pen out of one of those it had alot of red tint in it.. had several people ask what is that??
they was young and that is probably what made it so red looking.

Im not an expert on deer antlers but I know they can stink pretty bad when you are turning them.

dale

Antler is a living bone that is shed every year, the red tint is the blood that is still in the cellular structure of the bone, just like when you cut a fresh bone in half the marrow contains blood cells, and you are correct they stink to high heavens, not so bad when your turning them but when your cutting them into sections they reek.

View attachment 12594What a challenge this was!!

Notice the red line where the antler meets the shell, that is the shed line. This antler was retrieved from a 4 point roadkill, authorized by the Texas State Game Warden. I also changed out the round clip end with a matching piece of the antler. I would love everyone's feedback.

Seamus that is a nice looking pen, I like the finial button, Nice rack, kind of big for Texas deer, you got lucky with that rack.

seamus7227

Actually the racks in the background are merely for show, not off of the same antler. I just use those so that people that i email my pics to understand what the pen derived from.

seamus7227

I think the hardest part about this pen is the drilling process and setup on the rifle shell. i would be more than happy to share the details with you!!

JohnU

They turned out very nice. That browtine in the pic on the anter has some great potential for leaving natural texture on the pen. Nice find.

'Nice rack, kind of big for Texas deer' ... Texas deer get nice racks, just smaller bodies.

Top Bottom