dfurlano

Same design different caliber.

30-06-upfront.jpg

30-06-upside.jpg

30-06-down.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Dan,
I like your clips and yes, it takes more time to make them than most of us spend. But I like the look of the primer with the firing pin mark better than the regular finnial sitting on top of the casing. Keep up the good work.
do a good turn daily!
Don

Skye

Love the finnial and the attention to the cut edge on the casings. Never been a fan of that shape on the clip though.

dfurlano

Appreciate the comments. Not liking the clip is a valid comment but it is a casing so it necks down naturally. I guess I like making them more than anything.

At first I had this elaborate process for mounting the clips. I used to cut the top part of the casing off (where the primer and head are) and cut a slot for a tab on the clip and glue it all back together. That took a lot of time to do and get right.

Next I went to cutting a slot in the grooved area and not removing the head. Then I made a small tab on the clip to insert into the slot and solder it all together. Again took to long.

Now I just make a small tab on the clip and using a dremel grind a similar radius on the tab as the casing groove and using hard solder solder the pieces together. Much faster. I also solder the bullet into the casing using soft solder.

Also pickling the brass and bullet cleans off the scale and brightens up everything. Then using tripoli I can blend the clip and casings. Clean with acetone and powder coat.

dfurlano

The bullets are full metal jacket... don't ask I haven't a clue. I looked through the Midway USA website and found bullets I like by their visual appearance. They had a what seems to be lead core that I melt out. They are made in Finland and are 200 grain 30 caliber. I think they are actually for a 308. But I guess the diameters are very close. After I melt the core there is very little to drill.

massman

Best I've seen!!!!!
The nib looks a bit different than the points setting around the first picture. Is that the finish or did you use something else?? I can only wish to make something like that.
Great Job!!

arjudy

The bullets are full metal jacket... don't ask I haven't a clue. I looked through the Midway USA website and found bullets I like by their visual appearance. They had a what seems to be lead core that I melt out. They are made in Finland and are 200 grain 30 caliber. I think they are actually for a 308. But I guess the diameters are very close. After I melt the core there is very little to drill.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - dfurlano on Jan 04 2007 5:07:05 PM
A full metal jacket just means that the lead bullet is encased in copper. The copper helps protect the barrel of a firearm from being fouled by the lead.

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by dfurlano
<br />The bullets are full metal jacket... don't ask I haven't a clue. I looked through the Midway USA website and found bullets I like by their visual appearance. They had a what seems to be lead core that I melt out. They are made in Finland and are 200 grain 30 caliber. I think they are actually for a 308. But I guess the diameters are very close. After I melt the core there is very little to drill.

Your pen looks great.[8D]i need sunglasses to dim the shinyness.
Yep full metal jacket means lead incased in copper. just like what arjudy said above.
30 30,308,30 06 basicley take the same bullet.
the only difference in bullets is what the firearm will be able to safely fire. for example the 30 30 will not be able to safely fire a pointed bullet because the shells load into a tube. each bullet will be touching the primer of the shell in front. you dont want a pointed bullet in the tube.

pssherman

Something I've learned about using FMJ bullets for tips. It is better to use military bullets since they have a thick copper jacket. When the lead is melted out it is stronger and won't collapse with use. The commercial 'hunting' bullets have a very thin coating of copper which may not have much strength when the lead is removed. This difference is due to rules/regulations. NATO requires that bullets be 'non-expanding' so that soldiers are wounded rather than killed. This allows for a greater chance of recovery and requires 2 or more abled bodied soldiers to carry off the wounded one. A dead soldier requires none, so if you wound a soldier you will remove 3 cambatants instead of just one.
On the other hand, hunting regulations require an expanding bullet since a fast kill is desired. You don't want the wounded game to be able to run farther than you can track them.
Just a little information I gathered when I began to make military themed pens.

Paul in AR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom