30.06 cartridge w/ purple heart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GrantH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GrantH

It seemed to want to turn the CA white in the beginning. Maybe theres oil or something in it that doesn't react well, I don't know.

ALA

This same thing happened on a Civil War pen that I made yesterday. Can't see it unless you press in on the cap. Then it forces the CA out a little. I was going to sell it but I don't want to sell it like this. I may take it apart once I get over my frustration. Glad you got yours worked out...looks good!

jaeger

Here is something to try if you are having problems with your finish at the ends of the blank. After turning and sanding, when you are ready to apply the CA, switch to smaller bushings. This is really easy if you are using 7mm tubes. If you are using larger tubes, you will need a sleeve through the tube of course. Not a big deal since you are probably going to be making more than one of any kit you have decided to use. Be careful when you remove the finished blank from the mandrel as there is a good chance the CA on the tube ends may not be as dry as soon as the surface of the blank.

GrantH

I don't use bushings, so that wasn't my issue. It was that I forgot to flatten the edge and when I pressed it all together it. Problem solved though, and thanks for the tip.

ALA

Here is something to try if you are having problems with your finish at the ends of the blank. After turning and sanding, when you are ready to apply the CA, switch to smaller bushings. This is really easy if you are using 7mm tubes. If you are using larger tubes, you will need a sleeve through the tube of course. Not a big deal since you are probably going to be making more than one of any kit you have decided to use. Be careful when you remove the finished blank from the mandrel as there is a good chance the CA on the tube ends may not be as dry as soon as the surface of the blank.

Thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom