30.06 cartridge. short as I can go with a cross refill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mark

Mark

Threw this one together last night. It's a 30.06 cartridge with slimline innards. This is a short as I can go without going to a teachers pen refill.

That may be my next project.

Still waiting for my bulk bullets to arrive. Just ordered the trannies from Smitty. Got my bulk 7mm tubes. Then I'll try for a real bullet, real cartridge and a closed end to eliminate all but the tranny and tubes. It's a lot of fun.

I need to figure out the hidden clip thing too....

Attachments

• Bullet 0006.jpg
    Bullet 0006.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

Nice Mark! I really like the colors of the blank too. I have yet to do a casing pen at all. Might try one at some point.

Mark

The blank is Cherry pie from WC.
Thanks Todd. I'm having a blast with these cartridge pens.
lol. No two are ever the same...

bitshird

Nice job Mark, I don't understand about needing a shorter refill, I do 308's and 06's with Cross refills most of the time. I prefer to use Parker but it's a pain in 308's in fact I've never even tried it, just in 30-06's. I just buy 7 mm tubes 10 inches long and cut to length, Casings are getting expensive, I like the cherry pie top, looks great.

bitshird

but the top length is going to be determined by the transmission length, you can pull the screw knob off of the refill and cut the length down, but your going to have to seat the tranny WAY down inside, you can get by with just an inch and 3/8ts plus the thickness of the finial using a regular cross insert, The area of the transmission that engages the cap is only 1/4 inch above the rim of the casing , but I use drilled out bullets with mine so there may be a slight difference in the seated depth of the transmission using a slimline or 7mm euro nib.

snyiper

I just thought he was meaning using a stock refill as he mentioned going to a teachers refill....That is as shore as he can get it with stock parts unmodified. I may be way off base too.

Mark

Sorry, Didn't mean to confuse anyone.

Thank you very much for all the kind words. :)

I've gotten several requests for smaller pens and they still want a full size shell. Most are hunters that want a pen they can drop in a pocket, or more specific a license pouch. I'm trying to keep to a readily available refill. In order to keep from cutting a stock refill down, the next smaller refill I can think of is the teachers pen refills.

Once I get all the individual supplies, I won't have to cannibalize the kits anymore.

Thanks for looking.. :cool::cool:

maxman400

Great looking Pen, I am not for sure but didn't Captin-G do one that was completely enclosed in the shell casing and you twisted the nib to operate it.

Top Bottom